Writing Homework

Need Help With Writing Homework? Ask a Tutor

Review the following sources and detail what major changes…

Customer Question
Review the following sources and...
Review the following sources and detail what major changes began in the culture of the United States in the 1950’s and into the 1960’s. Select one and explain the role it had in this culture shift.Music & Television (Ed Sullivan, Elvis Presley, & American Bandstand)
Poetry
Rosa Parks
Crisis in Little Rock
Federal Highway System
Sputnik
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Writing Homework
1/9/2018
Writing Tutor: Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work replied 3 months ago
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work

Hello, and thanks for your question,

The launching of Sputnik, the first artificial satellite to orbit the planet, in October 1957 made international headlines. The significance of Sputnik -- about the size of a beach ball -- was not in the satellite per se, but in the technological implications of the Soviet Union having achieved a successful launch before their Cold War rival the United States. The public anxiously viewed the event as giving the Soviets a leg up in the "space race." The fact that the USSR had rocket boosters capable of successfully propelling even a small object into orbit, meant that the USA could well expect larger satellites and even manned crafted to soon be deployed. The belief at the time was that whoever gained a technological advantage in space, would also seize a distinct military edge in a hypothetical intercontinental war. This apprehension spurred America's fervent space program in the 1960s which, in retrospect, although widely applauded at the time, was largely excessive and unrewarding.

Hope this helps!

Chris M.
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work