Writing Homework

Need Help With Writing Homework? Ask a Tutor

Writing Homework

1. One of the methods of narrowing a topic involves posing

Customer Question
1. One of...
A. creating a thesis statement.
B. who, what, where, when, why, and how questions.
C. writing the first paragraph.
D. drafting an outline of the essay.
2. Which method of organization is most often used in narrative essays?
A. Most-to-least
B. Least-to-most
C. Spatial
D. Chronological
3. One strategy for writing an effective conclusion to an essay is to
A. directly restate your thesis.
B. Introduce the conclusion with a signaling phrase, such as "In conclusion," or "To sum things up."
C. introduce new supporting evidence that wasn't included in the body.
D. remind readers of the relevance of the topic.
4. Which of the following transitional expressions indicates a result or cause?
A. Therefore
B. All in all
C. Actually
D. However
5. The _______ of an introduction to an essay establishes how you feel about your topic and the relationship with your readers.
A. focus
B. point of view
C. tone
D. topic
6. Please read the following excerpt from an essay, and answer the question that follows.
I've never actually met a real live humorist. Well, not in person at any rate. However, one summer, having a lot of time on my hands, I discovered unexpected treasures lurking in the local public library. Among the nuggets I unearthed in those musty stacks was a book by humorist Robert Benchley. To this day I remember one of his quips. He wrote, "There are two kinds of people in this world: those who divide the world into two kinds of people and those who don't." After laughing out loud, I became pensive. I wondered why the quip was so funny. A year or so later, I formed a theory. Humor is based on the unexpected.
In the passage above, the topic sentence and the thesis are one and the same. In the paragraph about Robert Benchley, what types of evidence does the writer use to support his thesis, other than narration?
A. Historical background
B. Classification
C. Example
D. Comparison and contrast
7. To narrow a general topic you've selected, which pair of techniques is most likely to be effective?
A. Freewriting and questioning
B. Using a branching diagram and consulting your journal
C. Branching diagram and questioning
D. Questioning and choosing an issue that interests you
8. Carmen asserts that a strong conclusion to an essay should look ahead and present a call for action. Carl agrees, except he also insists that a strong conclusion should restate the thesis verbatim. Who is correct?
A. Only Carl is correct.
B. Only Carmen is correct.
C. Both Carmen and Carl are correct.
D. Neither Carmen nor Carl is correct.
9. When creating a formal outline, all items at the same level need to
A. relate to the following topic or subtopic.
B. relate to the preceding topic or subtopic.
C. express a new thought or idea.
D. support the topic or subtopic under which it is placed.
10. Please read the following excerpt from an essay. The sentences are numbered to help you respond to the question that follows.
(1) After Sean was arrested for breaking into a pawnshop, I began to wonder. (2) Why did some kids from my neighborhood end up in trouble while most of us didn't? (3) I started out with a question: What causes young people to make bad choices? (4) Now, after two years of research, I've arrived at the conclusion that there is no simple answer. (5) There is no one reason why good kids go bad, but there are typical reasons. (6) According to my research, teenagers are most likely to get into trouble if they hang out with a bad crowd. (7) That's because people learn their values from the people they associate with. (8) So a very big reason for bad behavior is imitating one's peers. (9) But there are other important factors as well. (10) Kids who get in trouble are often school dropouts. (11) Also, kids being raised by a single mother are more likely to get in trouble than kids raised in an intact family. (12) Substance abuse also plays a role, especially when it comes to alcohol and legal or illegal drugs.
In which sentence or sentences do you find the thesis statement in this excerpt?
A. 3
B. 5
C. 4 and 5
D. 2
11. When a paragraph begins with a transition, the topic sentence is usually placed
A. immediately before the transitional sentence or sentences.
B. at the end of the paragraph.
C. immediately after the transitional sentence or sentences.
D. immediately after the example or evidence indicated by the transitional sentence.
12. In developing the specific details of a paragraph of his essay on his experience as a nursing home volunteer, Alan wants his readers to feel as if they're observing or participating in the experiences he's describing. Which strategy will he most likely use?
A. Including the names of people he encountered
B. Using descriptive language that appeals to the senses
C. Answering questions
D. Using action verbs
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Writing Homework
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/13/2016
Writing Tutor: Dr. Donna Kakonge, Retired College Professor replied 1 year ago
Dr. Donna Kakonge
Dr. Donna Kakonge, Retired College Professor

Dear *****,

Are these the only questions you need answered?

Kindest regards,

Donna Kakonge, BJ, MA, TESOL, LLB, ABD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

No the others did not post. There is 20 total

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
13. In evaluating a thesis statement, it's important to bear in mind that it should

A. be general rather than specific.

B. make an assertion.

C. serve as an announcement regarding what the essay is about.

D. focus on at least two or three points.

14. Deciding whether to express yourself, inform others, or persuade readers are issues are related to the _______ of writing an essay.

A. audience

B. purpose

C. point of view

D. medium

15. Eliza is writing an essay describing a family vacation in a cottage in Maine. To organize the supporting details she decides to describe the experience of entering the cottage moving through the front room, to her bedroom, and the view of the beach from the back porch. Which method of organization is she using?

A. Least-to-most

B. Spatial

C. Most-to-least

D. Chronologica

16. One of the nine ways, or patterns, of developing an essay is

A. editing.

B. disputation.

C. elaboration.

D. process analysis.

17. A well-developed paragraph provides

A. general statements to be explained later in the body of an essay.

B. vocabulary that challenges the reader to seek for more information within the essay.

C. examples, explanations, and/or details to flesh out ideas that support the topic sentence.

D. a reassertion of the thesis statement.

18. What is the dominant pattern of development in the following passage?

Having been raised on a dairy farm in rural Minnesota, Lorie Ann Kline was having trouble adjusting to life in the city and to Central High School. In a conference with her parents, the school guidance counselor explained that Lorie Ann avoided talking to her fellow students and sat by herself in the lunchroom.

Perhaps most disturbing, her grades were not what one would expect given her high scholastic aptitude scores. Mrs. Kline agreed that Lorie Ann was often shy around strangers. A solemn Mr. Kline explained that his daughter had been severely bullied by two older children who had lived at the farm for a short time. The guidance counselor nodded in understanding.

A. Comparison and contrast

B. Description

C. Narration

D. Process

19. Lillian is looking for ideas to write about, and she decides to make a list of everything she can think of that relates to the topic of teenage romance. Which concept best describes Lillian's strategy?

A. Free association

B. Brainstorming

C. Outlining

D. Mapping

20. Latisha is writing an essay on the subject of increasing the minimum wage, and wants to ensure that her essay will engage or entice readers. Which method of organization will most likely support her aim?

A. Spatial

B. Most-to-least

C. Least-to-most

D. Chronological

When is your deadline Stephen to receive the answer for these questions?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

No there is not take your time

Dear *****,

Although there is no deadline and that is great and I really appreciate that, I need to request more for the payout so it would be a bit more than $1.00 per question. Just a moment and I will an offer to you.

Kindest regards,

Donna Kakonge, BJ, MA, TESOL, LLB, ABD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Its 24 dollars and that is already a bit more then $1 per question. Anything more then $25 total i am not interested! I can wait 5 days until I get home to get the answers myself.

Dear *****,

I will opt out of the question so that someone else can help you.

Thank you,

Donna

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Ok thanks

Writing Tutor: F. Naz, Chartered Accountant replied 1 year ago
F. Naz
F. Naz, Chartered Accountant

Hello

Kindly mention the remaining hours as well as are these your graded question?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

4 days or so... not sure what you mean by graded questions... they are queations in the book

By graded I mean that you will get some points on it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

No. These are questions in the book. Some of the questions might be on the test

Same questions will appear on test?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Thanks for your help, I got the answers now!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I requeated a refund. In the text above I said they are in the book and some of them MIGHT be on the test.

How would I know what is going to be on the test before I take it?

Okay, better luck next time, thanks.

Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Master's Degree