Numerous controversial treatments are promoted for individuals diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder. Almost all behavior analysts agree that these treatments lack sufficient empirical support. These treatments include facilitated communication, sensory integration, hyperbaric oxygen chambers, elimination diets, chelation therapy, SOMA, Floortime, DRI, and more. Conduct a Web search for information on either facilitated communication or sensory integration (or treatment for sensory integration disorder). Also research the treatment in the Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis or other professional applied behavior analysis (ABA) journals.
Find at least one pro statement that supports the use of the treatment. These may come from "experts," therapists, parents, or others. Also, find at least one con statement that opposes or refutes the treatment.
Summarize these statements and give your own opinion. Discuss relevant ethical guidelines that you have learned in this course thus far. Submit this assignment for grading and feedback from your instructor.
To achieve a successful project experience and outcome for your Controversial Treatments paper, you are expected to meet the following requirements:
- Written communication:
- Prepare an outline of your key points and related comments before constructing your document.
- Check grammar and spelling using your software's editing tools.
- Practice the correct use of the ABA terminology that you have learned, where appropriate.
- Edit carefully to remove out-of-place or extraneous content. The final product should clearly communicate your points in a concise and efficient manner. This is an important skill to practice for becoming an effective behavior analyst. Remember that others (for example, teachers, parents, caretakers, and managers) often will have only a few precious minutes or seconds to hear or read your comments.
- Paper expectations:
- Write a paper of no less than 750 words and no more than 1,000 words of content, excluding the cover page and references.
- Use double spacing with one-inch margins.
- Use Times New Roman, 12-point font. Use underlining, italics, and bold highlights sparingly.
- List of references: Include at least one reference from a professional journal or text, Web site, or other resource. In some cases, you will be directed to provide additional references or information.
- APA format: Format the paper (including references according to APA (6th edition) style and formatting guidelines.
Refer to the Controversial Treatments Scoring Guide to ensure you understand the grading criteria for this assignment.