Writing Homework

Need Help With Writing Homework? Ask a Tutor

Writing Homework

Assignment 3: The Swanston St Wall Collapse Background

Customer Question
Assignment 3: The Swanston St...

Assignment 3: The Swanston St Wall Collapse Background On Thursday 28 March 2013, in the early afternoon, a brick wall collapsed at a building development site on Swanston St in Melbourne. During the afternoon and around the time of the wall collapse, wind gusts were measured in other parts of the city that exceeded 100 km/h. The wall was of brick construction, erected in the 1960’s, and was one of the few remaining structures at the site that had not been demolished and removed as part of site preparation work in progress at the time for the proposed $800m Swanston Square redevelopment project by current site owner Grocon Pty Ltd. The brick wall was immediately adjacent to the footpath along Swanston St. Unfortunately a section of the wall, estimated to be at least 10 lineal metres, collapsed directly across the footpath causing fatal injuries to three pedestrians who happened to be in the path of the falling brickwork and debris. Alexander Jones, 19 years old, and Marie-Faith Fiawoo, 33 years old, died at the scene as a result of their injuries. Bridget Jones, 18 years old and Alexander’s sister died in hospital three days later from critical injuries sustained in the accident. What You Need to Do Prepare a well-researched and well-reasoned written report that examines this fatal accident that killed three innocent pedestrians as a direct result of a structural collapse at a construction site in Melbourne earlier this year. Your report should seek to address at least the following issues:  What were the contributing factors? What happened? And what were the outcomes? What is the current status of investigations into this accident?  Analyse this accident and attempt to identify who was responsible (ethically and legally) and seek to determine if this accident, which resulted in three deaths, was foreseeable and preventable.  Considering the Victorian OHS Act 2004, is it possible or likely that the ongoing investigations by WorkSafe Victoria will lead to prosecutions of any individuals and/or organisations?  What are some of the “lessons learned” that can be concluded from this tragic accident? How common is this type of accident in Australia, i.e., structural failure of existing buildings, walls, and fences so as to endanger or harm members of the public?  Do you believe that any changes to existing professional engineering practices, work practices, OHS legislation, or OHS regulation in Victoria are justified in order to prevent a similar accidents occurring in future? Describe and justify any changes you propose. This accident occurred recently, in March of this year, and so it will require you to be thorough, efficient, and effective in your research efforts in order to prepare a satisfactory report. In particular it requires you to understand the issues involved and to apply the principles and knowledge we have studied in the OHS module this trimester in this unit. As the accident is still under investigation it will require to apply a systematic approach to preparing this report, i.e., to perform both analysis and synthesis work on assignment. SEB223 The Professional Environment for Engineers and Scientists, T2 2013 General Requirements for This Assignment  This assignment is to be undertaken individually by all students.  Online and in-person resources and materials are available from Student Life for all students. Student Life also provides online and in-person resources to assist with understanding plagiarism and how to avoid producing it in your academic work.  Make sure that any analysis you present is your own – not simply a summary of what is presented in source or reference materials.  The word limit is 2000 words minimum to 4000 words maximum – not including the References section. o Word count includes the first word of the first section heading to the last word of the last section in your report (but it does not including the References section). o Any included figures, diagrams, charts or graphs are not included in the word count limit.  The submitted report document must be provided as a Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx) file. Hard copies and other electronic file formats will not be accepted and will not be marked, e.g., if your report is submitted in an alternative file format such as Adobe PDF it will not be marked.  Don’t waste time with fancy layouts, colours, cover pages, and so on. A simple text-based format is all that is needed with the report layout consisting of a few sections of text (with section headings). Use photos or diagrams sparingly and only if necessary and/or relevant to include in your report. Just use a basic and common text font such as Arial or Times New Roman with at least 10 point font size for body text. Single-spaced paragraphs are acceptable. (This document uses Arial 10 single-spaced in the body

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Writing Homework
10/2/2013
Writing Tutor: Angela--Mod,
 replied 4 years ago
Angela--Mod

Hello, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. Please let me know and I will assist further. Thank you!

Best,

Angela

Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Master's Degree