Writing Homework

Need Help With Writing Homework? Ask a Tutor

Writing Homework

1. What is the difference between a bibliography and an annotated

bibliography? A. An annotated bibliography...
1. What is the difference between a bibliography and an annotated bibliography? A. An annotated bibliography includes handwritten notes in the margins.B. It's easier and faster to complete an annotated bibliography.C. An annotated bibliography doesn't need to be in any special format.D. An annotated bibliography includes a brief summary of each source's content and focus.3. Of the following, which system of note-taking would be the most appropriate to use while doing research for a paper?A. Memorizing information for each sourceB. Highlighting all unfamiliar terms within each sourceC. Copying and pasting source text to use, without citation, within the final paper D. Making a notecard for each source4.. When skimming a source, one helpful guideline to follow is to A. pay no attention to any pictures, maps, or charts.B. read the first sentence of each paragraph.C. skip the first and last paragraphs.D. read the entire source.5. Which of the following is not a tip that can help you find good sources for a topic? A. Keep track of citation information for each source.B. Limit yourself to one source in the beginning.C. Have a clear system of notetaking.D. Have a narrowed topic and working thesis.7. Why is it better to rely on information from scholarly journals, not magazines, in academic writing? A. Scholarly journals are more difficult to find.B. Magazines are entertaining, which means they can't be educational.C. Authors in scholarly journals are generally specialists in their field.D. Scholarly journals are more entertaining, magazines are more reliable8. Which of the following is an example of a primary source? A. Benjamin Franklin's diaryB. A journal article that reviews various reports on Benjamin FranklinC. A biography of Benjamin FranklinD. A Web site that tells stories about Benjamin Franklin9. Prewriting can be helpful when trying to narrow a topic because it A. helps you eliminate ideas that would support your thesis.B. sorts good ideas from bad.C. can usually be submitted as the final essay.D. can reveal an idea that may become your thesis.10. Which of the following do you not normally need to take into consideration when determining if an author is biased?A. Your age as a readerB. The author's background and its effects on the writing C. The descriptive and connotative language used in the writing D. The tone of the writing11. In which of the following situations would paraphrasing be useful and ethical? A. You don't fully understand what the author is saying.B. You want to change the author's meaning.C. You wish to make it seem as if the author's ideas are yours.D. You want to use an author's idea but don't wish to quote the author directly.12. What can an assumption do to an essay?A. An assumption can give a writer something to base the rest of the essay on. B. An assumption can cause an essay to present incorrect information and ideas. C. An assumption can strengthen a thesis.D. An assumption can make an argument more valid.14. Which of the following is not a generalization? A. Women mature faster than men.B. Nothing is made in America anymore.C. Soccer is a sport that involves a ball.D. On every college campus athletes get special treatment.15. In MLA style, how long must a quote be to be a block quotation? A. More than 4 linesB. 50 words or moreC. More than 8 linesD. More than 2 lines16. Which of the following would require documentation in an academic research paper? A. A map of Brooklyn, NY, found in an atlasB. A photograph from your family reunionC. A statement regarding Thomas Jefferson being the third President of the United StatesD. An observation you made while on a field trip to a zoo17. Suppose that you're going to interview someone in preparation for writing a research paper on teaching techniques for macroeconomics. For this topic, who would be the best person to interview?A. The president of a universityB. An economistC. A student in a macroeconomics course D. A professor of macroeconomics18. What should you include in a keyword search when you wish broaden the search and find any documents containing at least one of a list of two or more terms?A. NOT B. *C. AND D. OR19. It is helpful to use keywords when searching for ideas related to your subject because doing so A. enables you to avoid plagiarism.B. allows you to finish your research after one single search.C. provides exact results.D. can lead you to other, more refined topics within your subject.20. Which of the following is a correct example of an APA-sA. Henley, P. (1999). The hummingbird house. Denver, CO: MacMurray.B. (1999). P. Henley. The Hummingbird House. Denver, CO: MacMurray.C. Henley, Patricia. (1999). The Hummingbird House. Denver: MacMurray.D. Henley, Patricia. The Hummingbird House. Denver: MacMurray. 1999.
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/10/2012
SusanAthena
SusanAthena, Master's Degree
Hi. Thanks for your questions!

Here's how I'd answer them. You can compare my answers with your own.

Kind regards,
Susan

1..D. An annotated bibliography includes a brief summary of each source's content and focus.

3. D. Making a notecard for each source

4.B. read the first sentence of each paragraph.

5. B. Limit yourself to one source in the beginning.C. Have a clear system of notetaking.

7. C. Authors in scholarly journals are generally specialists in their field.

8.A. Benjamin Franklin's diary

9. D. can reveal an idea that may become your thesis.

10. A. Your age as a reader

11. D. You want to use an author's idea but don't wish to quote the author directly.

12. B. An assumption can cause an essay to present incorrect information and ideas.

14. C. Soccer is a sport that involves a ball.

15. A. More than 4 lines

16. A. A map of Brooklyn, NY, found in an atlas

17. D. A professor of macroeconomics

18. D. OR

19. D. can lead you to other, more refined topics within your subject.

20. A. Henley, P. (1999). The hummingbird house. Denver, CO: MacMurray.
SusanAthena
SusanAthena, Master's Degree
Which of the following is a false statement about an APA References page?

A. You should put the list on a separate page at the end of your paper.
B. You should double-space the entire list.
C. You should organize the list according to publication date, with the oldest date first. D. You should italicize titles of books and names of journals.
SusanAthena
SusanAthena
SusanAthena, Master's Degree