Writing Homework

Need Help With Writing Homework? Ask a Tutor

Writing assignment Avoiding Fallacious Statements or Using…

Writing assignment :Avoiding Fallacious Statements...
Writing assignment :Avoiding Fallacious Statements or Using Argument by Authority

Topic:Mainstream protestant churches are wrestling with the question of accepting openly gay ministers.

Instructions :By Friday, July 16, 2010, choose to write about one of the following topics in a short, one to one and one-half page theme. In this theme, you are to defend the topic statement as presented (you are not choosing sides in the argument, merely defending the point that is made). As you write you will present the information in what may turn out to be similar to a five paragraph essay format. You will need an introduction and a conclusion as well as at least three body paragraphs.

Your purpose in this essay is to practice making an argument and to avoid the use of fallacious statements.

I've started to write the essay but I'm not sure I'm going in the right direction, this teacher is pretty picky and I'm not doing so well so I need help badly:(

Would some body be willing to read over what I have and give me advise ?
7/14/2010
Seanna
Seanna, Professional Writer
Hello, and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am a professional writer, editor and critical thinking specialist (critical thinking is the ability to analyze arguments and make persuasive arguments without fallacies). Please post what you have written, and for the amount you have offered I can edit it and provide a list of revisions you can make to earn an A on your paper.

Also, one thing I will need clarified is which side of the argument you are supporting- pro gay ministers or against.

I was confused because the instructions say

"In this theme, you are to defend the topic statement as presented (you are not choosing sides in the argument, merely defending the point that is made)."

Do you want me to send what I have so far?

This statement: "Mainstream protestant churches are wrestling with the question of accepting openly gay ministers," is not strictly defensible, because nothing to defend is put forward.

Is there any more to the topic than this?

No sorry , this is what I have , other than instructions . What I got from it was that I was suppose to present the evidence of why the church was having a problem without defending either side.

The rest of the instructions for the assignments is this :

As you write this short theme, remember to go through all parts of the writing process. In the planning stage, think about who your audience is and how you should approach them and how you can present a clearly defined topic and a body of succinct, convincing information gleaned from your personal experiences and your source/s

If this is all you have, and you were not given other topics to choose from, then you are on the right track as far as your interpretation. You should introduce the topic with historical context, devote three to four paragraphs to the pros and cons of homosexual ministers that the church is considering and conclude with the reason this issue is likely to remain contentious. Since the topic does not lend itself to the assignment, it is important to use multiple credible sources to strengthen the paper. I would suggest a minimum of four sources.

Once you have something, please post here and I will continue to help you with editing, revision suggestions, and I can help with reference formatting as well if needed.

Her's is what I have ,can you review it ? I have the opening 2 paragraphs and a conclusion but I'm not sure were I should go with the 3rd paragraph. I feel like I'm doing it all wrong!!

On the issue of openly gay ministers in the Protestant church, the one thing that you can say is that it is a deeply conflicted issue. As the world changes its views on openly gay relationships, the Protestant church is finding that it is not exempt from the expectations that it too, will one day change its views as well. Gay men and women are no longer satisfied to just sit in the pews as part of the congregation, but, want to become ministers and lead their own parishes in worship.

In Scotland the Protestant church accepted it's first openly gay minister Rev. Rennie, appointed by the Church of Scotland, even though it was met with opposition by many of it's members. The Guardian reports "More than 12,000 people, including 272 serving Church of Scotland ministers, more than 700 ministers from Protestant and Catholic churches in Britain and Ireland, and more than 500 ministers from overseas, signed an online petition objecting to his new posting." (Carrell, 2009) After a meeting with the general governing body it was decided that the Reverend would stay on at his post at the Queens Cross church with a vote of 326 to 267. (Carrell, 2009)

To show the how divided the church is on this issue across the country ,the Oklahoma state newspaper "The Oklahoman" printed a few of the most recent church positions on the gay clergyman issue."UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST: 1.1 million U.S. members. Boasts a long track record of welcoming gay clergy. Allowed ordination of an openly gay man and openly lesbian woman in the 1970s. Ordination of practicing homosexuals was officially accepted in 1980." (Press, 2010) While another entry reads"AMERICAN BAPTIST CHURCHES IN THE USA: 1.3 million U.S. members. Holds that "the practice of homosexuality is incompatible with Christian teaching." The Baptist tradition emphasizes local autonomy, and some churches have appointed openly gay ministers, creating tensions" (Press, 2010).

It is hard to say that whether or not the church votes unanimously for the acceptance of gay ministers that this issue will ever completely go away. There will always be those that interpret the Bible in a way that it doesn't allow them to accept such a verdict, while on the other side of things there are those that believe the word of their God leads them to except all those that are created in his image despite their orientation. To persuade either group to accept the others view may be still a long time from now.

Here is the edited essay. I have shown all my changes in bold, and inserted a number of comments regarding necessary changes. The primary issue is that you are lacking original, strong content. There should be no more than 10% quotes. There is nothing here yet about *why* some people think they are justified in appointing gays to the clergy, and others feel that this is blasphemy, so that is what all the body paragraphs should be about.

Once you have made the revisions, please post the essay again and I will give it another review.

Essay Link (click here to download)

Followed your suggestions and made some changes . I really liked the suggestion at the end :)Thanks !!

The Protestant church is deeply conflicted over the acceptance of gay and lesbian ministers. As the world changes its views on openly gay relationships, the Protestant church is finding that it is not exempt from the expectations that it too, will one day change its views. Gay men and women are no longer satisfied to just sit in the pews as part of the congregation: they want to become ministers and lead their own parishes in worship.

In Scotland, the Protestant church accepted its first openly gay minister Reverend Scott Rennie, despite opposition by many of its members. The Guardian reported:

More than 12,000 people from both Great Britain and Scotland protested the assignment through an on line petition. (Carrell, 2009) After a meeting with the general governing body it was decided that the Reverend Rennie would stay on at his post at the Queens Cross church with a vote of 326 to 267. (Carrell, 2009) Many of those against these rulings believe that this will eventually lead to the division of the Church of Scotland. (Carrell, 2009)

Demonstrating how divided the church is on this issue across the country ,the Oklahoma state newspaper "The Oklahoman" printed a few of the most recent church positions on the gay clergyman issue. The United Church of Christ since the 1970's has had many open gay and lesbian members and has accepted the ordination of gay men and women since the 1980's (Press, 2010) While another entry reads "American Baptist churches in the states find that "the practice of homosexuality is incompatible with Christian teaching." (Press, 2010).

Churches that have been putting off the gay and lesbian vote have done so in fear of the resulting consequences if it should get approved. Many might fear that they will lose important member of their congregation and the funding that goes along with them. The controversy seems to be where to draw the line of how much power the church has to decide who gets to worship and how, gay and lesbians groups might argue that it's for God to decide.

( I thought about putting in a comparison between this conflict and other religious conflicts of the past, like maybe the conflict of women ministers?)

It is unlikely that with a unanimous vote for the acceptance of gay ministers that this issue will ever completely go away. There will always be those that interpret the Bible in a way to bend it to their personal idea of what is deem sinful, but should the those views extend to the realm of heaven? To persuade either group to accept the others view may take a second coming.

I think a paragraph on historical conflicts might be interesting, but keep in mind the assignment guidelines for five paragraphs, because I think the paper is still really lacking an examination of the root causes for this controversy.

What you need to explain is:

1. At least two reasons Protestants are theologically opposed to gay ministers.
2. At least two reasons they are accepting of gay ministers.

These reasons should be clearly stated and backed up by scripture or some other authoritative source that you'll want to include as a reference.
Seanna
Seanna, Professional Writer
Thank you for the kind feedback. Feel free to post your final draft and I can go over it once more.

Angela,

I'm posting the feedback I got from the teacher so that I can get in my final complete my final.Her comments are at the bottom. Can you make some suggestions for my final paper.

The Protestant Church and the Issue of Gay Ministry

Natalie Ray

South University Online

July 16, 2010

The Protestant church is deeply conflicted over the acceptance of gay and lesbian ministers. As the world changes its views on openly gay relationships, the Protestant church is finding that it is not exempt from the expectations that it too, will one day change its views. Gay[S1] men and women are no longer satisfied to just sit in the pews as part of the congregation: they want to become ministers and lead their own parishes in worship[S2] .

In Scotland, the Protestant church accepted its first openly gay minister Reverend Scott Rennie, despite opposition by many of its members. The Guardian reported[S3] :

More than 12,000 people from both Great Britain and Scotland protested the assignment through an online petition. (Carrell, 2009) After a meeting with the general governing body it was decided that the Reverend Rennie would stay on at his post at the Queens Cross church with a vote of 326 to 267. (Carrell, 2009) Many of those against these rulings believe that this will eventually lead to the division of the Church of Scotland. (Carrell, 2009)

Demonstrating how divided the church is on this issue across the country ,the Oklahoma state newspaper "The[S4] Oklahoman" printed a few of the most recent church positions on the gay clergyman issue. The United Church of Christ since the 1970's has had many open gay and lesbian members and has accepted the ordination of gay men and women since the 1980's (Press, 2010) While another entry reads "American Baptist churches in the states find that "the practice of homosexuality is incompatible with Christian teaching." (Press, 2010).

The biggest problem that the church has in excepting [S5] gays as members or ministers lies in the book that is a part of their central believe, the bible. Christians that are against gay men and women in the church will likely quote scripture that paints gay men and women as "wicked" and "unnatural" (Feeney, 2004), words that have the power to evoke very strong emotions. The men and women that are for the acceptance of everyone onto the church will argue that the bible's view on relationships is out of sync with the modern idea of marriage and commitment. Much like many other practices found in the bible that have long since died out or changed over time, there are those that feel that the bible's views on gay and lesbians relationships should be redefined as well. (Tubes, 2008)

References[S6]

Carrell, S. (2009). Gay minister's appointment divides Church of Scotland. Edinbuagh: Guardian News and Media Limited.

Feeney, J. H. (2004). Biblical Arguments Against Gay Marriage. Retrieved 07 16, 2010, from Biblical Arguments Against Gay Marriage: http://www.jimfeeney.org/againstgaymarriage.html

Press, T. A. (2010, 02 27). NewsOK.Com. Retrieved 07 13, 2010, from Largest US Protestant churches on gay clergy: http://newsok.com/largest-us-protestant-churches-on-gay-clergy/article/feed/137153

Tubes, B. (2008, July 26). The Bible on Gay Marriage. Retrieved 07 16, 2010, from Suite 101.Com: http://biblestudies.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_bible_on_gay_marriage

Natalie: You have the beginnings of what could be a good paper, but you first need to clarify your thesis. There is also a great deal of evidence regarding gays in churches; probably too much for a two page pager. You should only be citing someone else two or three times in a paper this short. I need to know your position on this issue and how you see it playing out, not everyone else's.

[S1]What is your thesis?

[S2]You have too many spaces between your paragraphs. Go to "paragraphs" in Word and make sure zero is entered for line spacing before and after. You have it set on ten.

[S3]Is there supposed to be a quote here? It is missing.

[S4]This should be italicized and not in quotation marks.

[S5]Do you mean "accepting?"

[S6]If you are using a citation generator, stop. Your citations have been incorrect on every assignment and you need to type them out yourself so that they are correct. This also needs to be on a separate page.