Writing Homework

Need Help With Writing Homework? Ask a Tutor

HAMLET ACTIVITY Assignment for Week 3 This week you are

Customer Question
HAMLET ACTIVITY: Assignment for Week 3...
HAMLET ACTIVITY:

Assignment for Week 3: This week you are going to investigate the relationship between image and text and how they both are open to interpretation. Your topic is Shakespeare's tragic play Hamlet. Follow the instructions precisely.

SYNOPSIS OF THE PLAY TO THE POINT THAT WE JOIN IT:

"As Shakespeare's play opens, Hamlet is mourning his father, who has been killed, and lamenting the behaviour of his mother, Gertrude, who married his uncle Claudius within a month of his father's death. The ghost of his father appears to Hamlet, informs him that he was poisoned by Claudius, and asks Hamlet to avenge his death. Hamlet hesitates, desiring further evidence of foul play. His uncertainty and inability to act make him increasingly melancholy, and to everyone around him Hamlet seems to be going mad.

Driven by a guilty conscience, Claudius attempts to ascertain the cause of Hamlet's odd behaviour by hiring Hamlet's friends Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to spy on him. Hamlet quickly sees through the scheme and begins to act the part of a madman in front of them. To the pompous old courtier Polonius, it appears that Hamlet is lovesick over Polonius' daughter Ophelia." (from http://search.eb.com/shakespeare/micro/729/76.html) As we enter the scene, Hamlet's mother, stepfather, and Ophelia's father have arranged things so that Hamlet will encounter Ophelia to whom he is betrothed. They are hidden, watching to see how Hamlet reacts to Ophelia. They think that perhaps his mad behavior is caused by his lovesickness and seeing Ophelia will bring him back to himself.

STEP 1: Click on the link below to see an 1858 illustration by D. G. Rossetti of Hamlet and Ophelia in Act III, Scene I.

In a word document write a paragraph about what you think might be occurring the scene based on the illustration.

Consider the following questions: What is happening between the two characters? How do Hamlet and Ophelia respond (both emotionally and physically) to one another? What does this tell us about Ophelia's character? What does it tell us about Hamlet's character? Consider facial expressions, posture and the overall composition of the illustration.

Link to the illustration: Hamlet, Act III, Scene I

STEP 2: Put aside, for the moment, the illustration and your answers to the questions. In the textbook, read lines 88 - 164 of Act III, Scene I on pg. 644 (line numbers are to the right of the text. Begins with Ophelia saying "Good my lord." and ends with Ophelia saying "see what I see.") (Or click here for a word document of the lines.) You might try reading it out loud - Shakespeare's plays were meant to be spoken. As you read, keep the questions you asked in STEP 1 in mind, but do not consider your first set of answers. When you are done reading the lines from the play, revisit the questions and write a second paragraph, answering the questions based only on your reading of the play.

STEP 3: Compare your two sets of answers. Do they represent the same interpretation of the scene in the play or alternative interpretations? How do you account for those differences, if there are any? Consider how images work to tell a story compared to how text works. Which is more effective, in your opinion?

THIS IS THE LINK
http://vizedhtmlcontent.next.ecollege.com/pub/content/f0ab2881-2fe6-4bdc-9bba-8e1120727d35/dgr_hamleandophelia2.jpg
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Writing Homework
7/12/2010
Writing Tutor: writehere,
 replied 8 years ago
writehere

Hi. When is your deadline for this? Also, if you're pleased with the resulting document, would you consider even a small bonus? (The experts only receive a portion of your initial offer.)

Let me know.

Thanks,

Pat

friday is the deadline for my assignment....i will surely consider a bonus once i get my solution ..please let me know if u are working on it.....thanks hope to hear from u soon
Writing Tutor: writehere,
 replied 8 years ago

I will have it posted by late morning Tuesday.

Thanks!

Pat

thank you so much i really appreciate it....
Writing Tutor: writehere,
 replied 8 years ago

Here is a Word document that answers each of the three parts. It runs just under 500 words total.

Let me know if you need anything else for this question.

Thanks,

Pat

Three Responses

writehere
i forget this question please help me with it.

what your view of an "artist" is in the 21st century. What personality and temperament do you associate with someone who is an artist? What drives an artist to pursue art making? Where do artists fit in society? What contribution do they make, if any, to the quality of life in our society? Give us specific examples to support your points, if possible.
Writing Tutor: writehere,
 replied 8 years ago

Thanks for your accept.

If you need help for this new topic, you should post it as a new question, though.

Thanks,

Pat

i want you to help me with it and tell me how much you want me to pay.....it is just like 8-10 sentences
Writing Tutor: writehere,
 replied 8 years ago

I think $15 would be fair. I'll look for it on the list and will get your answer posted by tonight.

Thanks.

Pat

please , that question follow the yesterday question but i mistakely forget to post it with the other...please that $15 is too much for because it is just a discussion work but i have another big assignment that i will post for you today please assist me
Writing Tutor: writehere,
 replied 8 years ago

Here are some responses to your follow-up question.

Responses

Pat

i have an assignment that due in the next 2 weeks....please let me know if u can help me with it.....just let me know if u can do it.....thank for your help may god help and reward u because i cant reward u enough

Writing Tutor: writehere,
 replied 8 years ago

Happy to help...just leave me some nice feedback when you get a chance.

Why don't you briefly explain the assignment here in a reply to this thread and I'll let you know if I can handle it. If so, we can talk more about specifics.

Thanks,

Pat

this is my question.....

Imagine that you work for a museum and have been given the responsibility of organizing an important exhibition that will draw in the crowds. To complete this task you must:

1) Develop a cohesive theme that falls within the time period covered by this course. This theme can be a particular period in time; it can be an artist, composer, or writer; it can be a place; it can be an idea; or it can be an aspect of culture. Think carefully about what would make interesting exhibit.

2) To build your exhibition, select 8 works (objects) of art, music, or literature that fit your theme. These works can not be in your textbook or in my Prof Lectures.

3) Your paper will include

a. An introductory paragraph that explains your theme

b. A paragraph explaining how you went about choosing your objects to put in your exhibition.

c. Information about each of the 8 objects:

1. Identify artist, title, date, medium and current location.

2. A substantive paragraph describing the object, relaying relevant aspects of its history, and explaining how it ties into your theme.

Discussion thread in Week 6: By Week 6, you need to have developed your theme so that you can participate in the Term Paper discussion.

Requirements: Your paper must adhere to all of the requirements identified in the Term Paper guidelines. You will be doing extensive research for this project, so make sure that you properly identify your sources.

you have not guving me the reply....please sir, let me know if you can help me
Writing Tutor: writehere,
 replied 8 years ago

Hello. I am sorry for the delay. I have been unable to use my internet for several days.

I will opt out of this thread. You will need to post the new question with a new value so that another expert can pick it up if you still need help.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX apologize again for taking so long to reply.

Pat

please can you help me with this assignment

Imagine that you work for a museum and have been given the responsibility of organizing an important exhibition that will draw in the crowds. To complete this task you must: 1) Develop a cohesive theme that falls within the time period covered by this course. This theme can be a particular period in time; it can be an artist, composer, or writer; it can be a place; it can be an idea; or it can be an aspect of culture. Think carefully about what would make interesting exhibit. 2) To build your exhibition, select 8 works (objects) of art, music, or literature that fit your theme. These works can not be in your textbook or in my Prof Lectures. 3) Your paper will include a. An introductory paragraph that explains your theme b. A paragraph explaining how you went about choosing your objects to put in your exhibition. c. Information about each of the 8 objects: 1. Identify artist, title, date, medium and current location. 2. A substantive paragraph describing the object, relaying relevant aspects of its history, and explaining how it ties into your theme.
Writing Tutor: writehere,
 replied 8 years ago

Hi. This is out of my area of knowledge. I appreciate your request and would help if I could.

Thanks,

Pat

PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS ASSIGNMENT

HUM100 AFRICAN ART WEB ASSIGNMENT

African objects of art are firmly rooted in the values and ritual practices of the peoples that made them. Follow the directions below for a web-based look at the portrayal of women in traditional African artworks. While you will need to read the text on each page to answer the questions, make sure to also look at the accompanying artwork. (2 pts for each answer, for a total of 40 pts.)

Go to the following web page: http://www.uiowa.edu/~africart/toc/chapters/KML.html

What are the 2 reasons that, according to the author of the website, African people make objects?

1. ____________________________________________________________________

_______________________________________________________________________

2. ____________________________________________________________________

To answer the following questions, navigate through the separate chapters of this section of the website to find the indicated page:

Key Moments in Life: Newborn/Infancy 2:

What is the chief measure of success for a woman in rural traditional African communities?

________________________________________________________________________

Why is her role in the community so important?

_________________________________________________________________________

What is much of African Art devoted to encouraging?

Key Moments in Life: Childhood 2:

What does a doll such as the one pictured from the Mossi people represent to the girl child who plays with it?

__________________________________________________________________________

Key Moments in Life: Initiation 3:

Suku initiation masks serve as the collective image of what important group?

Key Moments in Life: Initiation 4:

What does the carved figure from the Mbole people represent?

Key Moments in Life: Initiation 5:

What are two functions that art plays in African initiation ceremonies?

1. ______________________________________________________________________

2. ______________________________________________________________________

Key Moments in Life: Initiation 6:

What ideals of feminine beauty does the Sande mask represent for the Mende people?

3. ______________________________________________________________________

Key Moments in Life: Marriage and Eligibility 1:

How does a traditional Woyo woman show her displeasure to her husband if she is unhappy or he abuses her in some way?

Key Moments in Life: Marriage and Eligibility 2:

In African traditional communities, what is the purpose of an ideal pairing in marriage that makes it so important?

Key Moments in Life: Marriage and Eligibility 3:

Why are art forms associated with marriage rarely sculptural?

Key Moments in Life: Adulthood 1:

How is success measured for an adult in a traditional community?

What is one possible reason that the female figure in the Baule figure pair is larger than the male?

______________________________________________________________________
Writing Tutor: writehere,
 replied 8 years ago

Hello. Please post this as a new question with a specific value and I will have a look at it and let you know if I can help. If I can't, there are many other qualified experts who pick art-related questions up.

Thanks,

Pat

HELP ME WITH THIS QUESTION.I HAVE ALREADY POSTED IT BUT THE PERSON INCARGE QUIT TO DO IT...PLEASE TAKE OVER.....

2. Which one of the following paintings shows the influence of African art on European art? (Points :2)
Gericault, The Raft of the Medusa
Gauguin, Ia Orana Maria
Picasso, Les Desmoiselles d'Avignon
Munch, The Scream

3. After World War II, the art capitol of the world moved from Paris to New York because _______________________. (Points :2)
avant-garde artists from Europe came to New York to escape from the rise of totalitatian governments
The French Academy had gained so much power that artists in Europe no longer had freedom of expression
the Hudson River School of painters created a new academy for landscape painting
many European artists came over to New York for the Armory Show in 1913 and never left

4. The painting style known as "Impressionism" involves _______________ . (Points :2)
depicting an object after staring long and hard enough for our mind to fill in the details
only one practitioner--who is simply emulated--that being Claude Monet
depicting fantasies of the mind--not the eye
using light and color to reproduce the literal impression of an object on an eye

5. The sculpture Monument to Balzac reflects Rodin's technical ability with __________________ . (Points :2)
Giving marble a soft texture
Creating an irregular surface in bronze sculptues
Carving wood in the same direction as the grain
Applying heavy layers of oil paint

6. As one of the founders of modern music, Stravinsky broke with tradition when composing The Rite of Spring by doing which of the following? (Points :2)
combining dance with film
eliminating dramatic effects of mood
adding choral singers to the orchestra
using a new approach to rythym

7. According to your textbook, one aim of Analytical Cubism might have been __________________. (Points :2)
to put objects in linear perspective
to depict things as the eye sees them
to explore the geometric qualities of objects without using linear perspective
to make human figures more sensuous

8. The art style on which Freud had the most direct influence, according to Breton, was ______________. (Points :2)
Surrealism
Cubism
German Expressionism
Post-Impressionism

9. Langston XXXXX, XXXXX WelXXXXX XXXXX, Countee Cullen, and Romare Bearden were part of which artistic movement? (Points :2)
Jazz music--from the start
the Civil Rights movement of the 1960s
the Harlem Renaissance
the first USO Tour to include African Americans

10. Which of the following architects believed that a building's form and function should fit its natural location? (Points :2)
Le Corbusier
Van der Rohe
Wright
Gehry

11. Which of the following statements most accurately reflects the goals of artists Christo and Jean Claude when creating their large scale project "The Gates, Central Park, New York, 1979-2005?" (Points :2)
to create miniature, personal objects
to encourage the viewer to experience deep emotion
to temporarily alter the viewer's perception of familiar places
to cover up unsightly areas of Central Park that had fallen into disrepair

12. Eduoard Manet's Le Dejeuner Sur l'Herbe (Luncheon on the Grass) was considered scandalous because ____________________. (Points :2)
of the bold, direct gaze of the nude female model who was recognizable as a denizen of Paris
of the smooth, classical painting technique which is typical of the linear mode
it was awarded the Gold Medal at the Salon of 1863 and given a central place of honor in the exhibition
of its mythological subject matter

13. In bronze plaques from the African Kingdom of Benin, the Oba is larger than the other figures because __________________________________. (Points :2)
he was taller than his subjects in real life
the sculptor did not understand correct human proportions
to symbolize the egalitarian and democratic political structure of the kingdom
to represent that he was more important than the other figures

14. Which of the following words best describes music composed by Steve Reich? (Points :2)
Random
Expressive
Traditional
Minimal
Classical

15. The Existentialist philosophy of Sartre can be summed up in which of the following phrases? (Points :2)
People are condemned to be free.
Civilization makes you sick.
Man is born free, but everywhere is in chains.
Essence precedes existence.

16. Which of the following best describes Virginia Woolf's argument for why there is not a tradition of great women writers? (Points :2)
women were incapable of writing with the same depth of thought and clarity as male writers
social structures never provided women with the social and economic aid to be free to write
women spent too long in college earning their degrees before they set about beginning their writing careers
All of the above
None of the above

17. Avant-garde artists such as Marcel Duchamp and Robert Rauschenberg are best described as _________________. (Points :2)
following the mainstream
pandering to the Academy by eagerly pursuing acceptance to the Salon
inventing new art forms in order to push traditional boundaries
replicating the imagery of popular culture and advertising by using photo-silkscreen techniques

18. Picasso limited the color palette of his monumental, anti-war painting Guernica in order to _____________________. (Points :2)
lessen its emotional impact
please his patron the leader of Spain, Francisco Franco, who wanted it that way
duplicate the effect of a woodblock print by Durer
reinforce its iconography (the meaning of its symbolism)

19. Films by Sergei Eisenstein and Leni Riefenstahl fall into the category of _______________________ . (Points :2)
propaganda
leitmotif
the absurd
Postmodernism

20. Which of the following African writers wrote in English because he felt that only Western languages can carry the message to those who most need to hear it? (Points :2)
Thomas Mofolo
Leopold Senghor
Chinua Achebe
Langston Hughes
Wole Soyinka

21. Which one of the following elements contributes to the sense of profound pessimism of Van Gogh's Night Cafe? (Points :2)
soft, pastel color
smooth brushstrokes
absence of human figures
harshly contrasting colors

22. What powerful African center was once significant but is known to us today primarily through accounts by Portuguese traders and its ruins? (Points :2)
Benin
Timbuktu
Great Zimbabwe
Swaziland

23. Which of the following statements is true of African artistic traditions? (Points :2)
African art fulfills a precise function in society and religion
African art is an example of "art for art's sake," having no functional purpose.
African Art is produced to be displayed in museums and galleries.
All African art reflects Christian religious beliefs.

24. Jasper Johns represents what trend in post-World War II American art? (Points :2)
Abstract Expressionism
Return to representation
Pop Art
Minimalism
Photorealism

25. Which of the following musical forms did NOT contribute to the development of Jazz? (Points :2)
Rhythmic patterns from African music
Traditions of the black spiritual
Southern Blues music
European operatic structure

26. Prior to the 20th century, African tales and history were preserved through which of the following? (Points :2)
oral storytelling
texts carved into stones
French literature
Novels written in English

27. The writing style of Marcel Proust can best be described as which of the following terms? (Points :2)
Transcendentalist
Satire
Stream of consciousness
Existentialist

28. According to the African web-based assignment you completed this quarter, the most important role of women in traditional African groups was which of the following? (Points :2)
hunter
mother
clan leader
farmer
masked dancer

29. Which of the following statements BEST characterizes Jonathan Swift's style of writing? (Points :2)
poetic
serious
satirical
religious

30. Japanese painter Yosa Buson's Night was influenced by which of the following? (Points :2)
Chinese landscape paintings
American landscape paintings
Mughal landscape paintings
African landscape paintings

31. Delacroix's masterpiece The Death of Sardanapalus reflects the Romantic Period interest in which of the following? (Points :2)
exotic places (orientalism)
depicting current events
assemblage
archaeological accuracy

32. Which of the following statements best applies to the Romantic painter Ingres? (Points :2)
He was the self-appointed defender of classicism during the Romantic Period.
He was student of Eugene Delacroix and adopted his style.
He was only interested in painting landscapes.
He was considered a Transcendentalist.

33. The Declaration of Independence, written by Thomas Jefferson, reflects Enlightenment ideas in the statement that ____________________________. (The statement is paraphrased in the correct answer below.) (Points :2)
a government must have absolute power over its citizens in order to maintain order
governments are established to protect the right of its citizens to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness
man in a state of nature is nasty, brutish and will be driven by self-interest
man would be safer if all forms of government were abolished

34. The social status of Chinese landscape painters, such as Shen Zhou, can best be described as which of the following? (Points :2)
professional artists
amateur gentleman-scholars
were considered inspired geniuses
were skilled at only one art form

35. The 18th Century discoveries and excavations of the ancient cities of Herculaneum and Pompeii contributed to the development of which artistic style? (Points :2)
Romanticism
Impressionism
Rococo
Neo-Classicism

36. Which of the following statements best describes the role of The French Academy (Academie des Beaux Arts) in French artistic production of the first half of the 19th Century? (Points :2)
rewarded artists who adhered to the academy's strict standards of aesthetic quality
only supported artists who broke away from tradition to develop new styles
supported all artists, no matter what their style
had little influence on French artistic production in the 19th Century

37. The Classical period in music saw the standardization of what extended orchestral form? (Points :2)
polyphony
symphony
oratorio
atonality

38. Jacques Louis David's Oath of the Horatii had the simple message of ___________________________. (Points :2)
rally behind the king
don't swear around your family
independence now!
a call to action and resolve

39. Which of the following authors is considered a member of the American Transcendentalists? (Points :2)
Tolstoy
Hawthorne
Wordsworth
Emerson
Homer

40. Which of the following is NOT a characteristic of Romanticism? (Points :2)
Emphasis on the expression of personal feelings
Expression of subjective views
The search for order and reason
Love of the fantastic and exotic
A mystical attachment to the world of nature

41. Which of the following was a device used by Richard Wagner to achieve highly complex dramatic and psychological effects in his operas? (Points :2)
sonata form
leitmotiv
fugue
concerto
polyphony