Writing Homework

Need Help With Writing Homework? Ask a Tutor

Being a residential advisor at Whittier College at Whittier…

Being a residential advisor at...
Being a residential advisor at Whittier College at Whittier College during 2006-2007 school year was a little difficult for me for several reasons. The first and most obvious was that it was my first year being an RA, the second reason was that I dealt with a very large, active and diverse group of freshmen. I had the largest group of freshmen of the whole RA staff, with 50 men living on my floor. At first, I new that they were testing the limits with me to see how far I would tolerate breaking of the rules, that I made very apparent at the opening meeting that was held on the first night. The first few weeks were difficult because I could tell that they were trying to establish there territory with other residence and with myself as the authority figure.
7/7/2010
kshro
With your being just one year older than your assigned group, I can imagine you were truly put to the test.
1) Intellectual Skills: In the Foreign Service you may confront challenging situations that require creative use of your intellect to achieve a goal. Describe briefly how you have dealt with such a situation in your experience using your skills of critical thinking, resourcefulness and/or judgment. (What was the situation? What steps did you take to deal with the difficulty? What was the result?)

I had to use my critical thinking skills everyday that I was a resident advisor on Stauffer third floor. Sometimes, I was dealing with drinking problems, drug problems, vandalism and sometimes just them being plain board. So, I had to think of a response to meet their needs and keep them motivated and busy enough to make sure that they were not taking part in these activities that were detrimental to them and the community. I started to think of ways that would indentify with the residence, especially when it came to the alcohol subject because the floor was constantly having issues that resulted from binge drinking. My response to this was not to become extremely strict, but rather to make sure I informed my residence on what they were really doing to themselves and the consequences that accompany them. So, one night when I knew most of the residence would be around I planned a whole alcohol exhibition. I had games that showed the hazards of drunk driving, such as drunk goggles. I also bad rootbeer pong set up, speakers from the on campus counseling center that spoke about drug and alcohol addiction and offered prices for people that participated. That event actually had about 75% participation from the residence and they really did take it into account with their actions. I had planned several more of these activities throughout the month and I almost immediately saw a response from most of the residence that lived on the floor. The residence knew that I was there to be an advocate for them and wanted them to succeed, but in order to do that they needed to exercise two things, common sense and self control.

My resourcefulness allowed me to pull from the abundance of campus resources to address the issues and problems of my floor and create an affective solution that allowed my community to thrive and become one of the best communities on campus. I knew that when the residence took pride in the community that they were living in then they would begin to respect it and their actions would soon follow. All I had to do was find those things that allowed them to take pride in the community.
I am turning in -- I will work on editing first thing tomorrow morning. Do you have a deadline you need to meet?
No, anytime tomorrow works for me. I will make sure that I have the rest of the response done tonight so you can work on it anytime you have free tomorrow. Thanks again
I do have one more question -- in regard to critical thinking, is it in reference to the educational use of the term -- analysis, synthesis, and evaluation? If so, you could structure your essay using each of those levels. You analyzed what you were dealing with, pulled together possible solutions and drew a conclusion of what to do in answer to the problem, and then evaluated the success of what you'd done, judging the weaknesses and strengths.

Edited by kshro on 7/7/2010 at 4:02 AM EST
"the mental process of actively and skillfully conceptualizing, applying, analyzing, synthesizing, and evaluating information to reach an answer or conclusion"
Just edited my earlier Need Info post.

One more question -- if your second year at Whittier College was 2006-2007, when did you spend six years in the banking industry?

Sorry -- not trying to be nosy!

Edited by kshro on 7/7/2010 at 4:06 AM EST

My resourcefulness allowed me to pull from the abundance of campus resources to address the issues and problems of my floor and create an affective solution that allowed my community to thrive and become one of the best communities on campus. I knew that when the residence took pride in the community that they were living in then they would begin to respect it and their actions would soon follow. All I had to do was find those things that allowed them to take pride in the community and then there actions would soon follow.

Dealing with the problems were not the only things I had to use my critical thinking for, I also had to use it to solve them being board because if they were board then that meant I was not doing my job and meeting needs of a thriving community. I was set, I knew what I had to do, but actually finding the resources to do it was the problem. I had major events planned such as themed parks, Pirate Dinners, Lakers games, Galexy soccer games and probably most importantly a few Dodger games planned. Sure, it all looked good on paper, but how was I going to get the funding for all of these activities. The answer is simple, being relentless at looking for the funds around campus. I knew that the money was there and all I needed to do was go out and find it. Most departments could not and would not foot the bill for the whole trip, but getting several departments to contribute a little for each always seemed to work. That year my floor of 50 freshman took trips all over the place as part of the floor building activities that I had planned.

When beginning to write this response I knew what critical thinking was, but also did not have a strong concept of what it was also, so I looked it up in the dictionary. “the mental process of actively and skillfully conceptualizing, applying, analyzing, synthesizing, and evaluating information to reach an answer or conclusion,” and came to the conclusion that most of what we do in life is critical thinking and what I did when I was an resident advisor, or even what I do as a banker in my real life working job is something that involves both critical thinking and resourcefulness. In fact, most of life involves these qualities in order to be successful and making the right decisions is something that should come when using those qualities to make the decision. What I believe I was trying to communicate with my floor that year was when they really thought about it, what kind of community did they really want to live in and be apart of? I think the choice was obvious and when I put the choices and options in front of them they seemed to always choose the right ones.
Ha ha ha, no problem. I started at the bank when I was 17 after completing an internship when I was 16.

So, thats what I have for the paper. The breaks are not showing so I divided them with I am also short about 150 words, but really don't know what else to add... so if you notice anything feel free to add.
Here is the link to a cleaned up version

https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1o-0FTzTfcwNs8X4XsU3D2hTGh2An7rmRsNsbAMLOt8I&hl=en&authkey=CJ-7-6AC
Here you go. I'm going to be gone for a couple of hours, but will check back to see if there if anything you want changed in this. Oh -- there are a few patches of red font, by the the way.

During the 2006-2007 school year, being a residential adviser at Whittier College, a small liberal arts college in Whittier, California, was a little difficult for me for several reasons. The first and most obvious was that I was in my first year serving as an RA; the second reason was that I was dealing with a very large, active, and diverse group of 50 freshmen living on my floor, the largest group of new students assigned to anyone out of the whole RA staff. At my group’s opening meeting held the first night in the dorm, knowing full well that my freshmen would at first test the limits to see how far I would tolerate breaking of the rules, I made certain to go over not only the rules themselves, but also to cover the reasons behind setting those limitations. The problem in dealing with guys who are away from their parents’ supervision long-term for the first time in their lives, is that most of them will naturally go through a period of reaction to the sudden freedom until their powers of reason and sense of purpose for attending college take control. The trick is to maintain an atmosphere of friendly, safe supervision in the meantime while also making sure the rules are observed. Since my group were making the adjustment to their new lives, though, the next few weeks were difficult as I watched them trying to establish their territory with other residents and with their new authority figure: me.

As the authority figure, I had to use my critical thinking skills every single day that I was a resident adviser on Stauffer third floor. Sometimes, I was dealing with drinking problems; at other times, there were drug issues, vandalism, and sometimes just plain boredom, so I had to think of responses to meet the needs of my residents, to keep them motivated and busy enough that they were not taking part in activities that would be detrimental to them and the community. First, I worked to find ways to identify with the residents, especially when it came to the alcohol subject because the floor was constantly having issues resulting from binge drinking. My response was not to become extremely strict, but rather to make sure I informed my residents regarding what they were really doing to themselves and regarding the consequences that accompany that choice – basically, since they were capable of critical thinking themselves, they could make good decisions if well informed. In order to be certain they’d have access to that information, I planned a whole alcohol exhibition for one evening when I knew most of the residents would be around. Included were games that showed the hazards of drunk driving, such as drunk goggles; bad root beer pong (you might want to include a few words of explanation as to what bad root beer pong is – must admit that I’m REALLY curious!); speakers about drug and alcohol addition from the on-campus counseling center; and finally prizes offered to the participants. That event actually had 75% participation from the residents, who really did apply what they learned to their own actions. I had planned several more of these activities throughout the month, during which time I saw a quick response from most of the residents that lived on my floor. The relationship I was building with my freshmen was going in the desired direction; they knew that I was there to be an advocate for them and wanted them to succeed, but in order to be successful, they needed to exercise their own thinking abilities, resulting in common sense and self control.

My resourcefulness allowed me to pull from the abundance of campus resources to address the issues and problems of my floor and to create an effective solution allowing my freshmen to thrive and become one of the best communities on campus. I knew that when the residents took pride in the community they were living in, they would begin to respect it and their actions would reflect that respect. All I had needed to do was find those things which would lead them to take pride in the community.

Dealing with the problems was not the only way I used my critical thinking skills; resident boredom was also an issue needing attention because if the guys were bored, that meant I was not doing my job and meeting needs of a thriving community. Coming up with ideas to cure boredom was not a problem, but actually finding the resources needed was. I had major events planned such as theme park expeditions, Pirate dinners, Lakers games, Galaxy soccer games, and -- probably most importantly -- a few Dodger games. Sure, all of these ideas looked good on paper, getting all of the funding for these activities posed quite a dilemma. The answer, however, was simple: being relentless in searching for the funds around campus. I knew that the money was there; all I needed to do was to find it. Most departments (what kind of departments – academic departments, such as the English department? or some other type, such as Student Activities, etc.?) could not and would not foot the bill for a whole trip, but getting several departments to contribute a little for each outing always seemed to work. That year my floor of 50 freshman took trips all over the place (“all over the place” is a bit vague – if you gave the number of trips and total miles, the idea would be more clear; otherwise, maybe “all over the place” means trips to Walmart’s parking lot and then to Steak ‘n Shake – not that there’s anything wrong with either of those =-) That year my floor of 50 freshmen took 10 trips together, totaling over 1000 travel miles. The time the group spent together in the floor outings fostered even further that sense of pride in community. Ultimately, critical thinking on my part led to critical thinking on the part of the residents. Their enjoyable living circumstances were in part the result of their own realizations of how they wanted to live and what they would need to do to live that way.

When beginning to write this response I knew what critical thinking was in theory, but needed a stronger concept of exactly what it entailed, so I looked the term up in the dictionary: “the mental process of actively and skillfully conceptualizing, applying, analyzing, synthesizing, and evaluating information to reach an answer or conclusion.” My conclusion is that most of what we do in life is critical thinking, including what I did when a resident adviser and even what I do as a banker in my real-life job. In fact, most of life requires both critical thinking and resourcefulness, qualities necessary to being successful and in making the right decisions. My own critical thinking skills helped me communicate the vision of community I believed my freshmen could achieve that year; the critical thinking skills of those 50 freshmen led them to decide the type of community they wanted to live in and be a part of, and then to use those skills in making choices which would make their wish possible. The right choices and options became obvious to them.

kshro
Thanks so much for all your help! I just read through the last response and it looks amazing. You have been such a great help, I hopefully can work with you sometime in the future. Thanks again!
It has been a pleasure to work with you -- I truly enjoyed reading of your ideas and experiences, and will gladly work with you again at any time.

By the way, when I looked at the essay posted, I didn't see red font, although it was there when I originally posted it. Just want to be certain you know that there are three inserts not intended to remain.

Please let me know how you come out with these essays -- hopefully A+ !!
Yes, I gathered that. I am rereading all the responses now and making additional corrections before I submit them later today. They all look great though.
So, I made a huge mistake. The responses need to be 1300 characters, not 1300 words. 1300 characters is roughly about 200 words. Do you think you could help me cut them down? If you can't thats fine.
nevermind, I cleared the confusion up.
Would gladly help you cut them down -- do you no longer need to?
No, it's ok. I did it myself. Thanks though
So you really needed only 200 words per question? Yikes!