Writing Homework

Need Help With Writing Homework? Ask a Tutor

Hello JO, just wondering if your available to help me with…

Hello JO, just wondering if...
Hello JO, just wondering if your available to help me with two discussion questions? one is due tomorrow and the other one is due on thursday.

1Choose one of the means of providing social support listed below. Describe how this type of social support is important and how it might help an ill person. Read the post of a student who chose a different type of social support than yours. Which of these two means of providing social support is more important? Justify your answer.

o Social networks

o Support groups

o Virtual communities

o Lay caregivers

2. Due Date: Day 4 [Main] forum

Can someone provide too much support in comforting an ill person? Provide specific examples.
6/28/2010
jogann

Hello yesenia,

Yes, I'll help with these.

Best regards,

Jo

Good afternoon Jo,

Just wondering if your going to be able to finish the first assignment that's due today? Thank you

Hi Yesenia,

Yes, I'll have it tonight in a couple of hours.

Best regards,

Jo

Hi Yesenia,

Here are the answers to both.

Please press "accept." As always, I appreciate bonuses and positive feedback.

Best regards,

Jo

Hello Jo,

The answer wasnt post it up, Can you please post it up? thanks.

Hi Yesenia,

Don't know why it didn't post the link. Here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/?m5mer322aih

Best regards,

Jo

jogann
HI Jo are you available to help me with the eight questions? of course in another thread.

Hi Yesenia,

Of course. Just post them to my attention and let me know when you need them.

Best regards,

Jo

1. It varies I think it depends on the illness if it something that a person can get better I think that you should help them rehabilitate them but not cripple them until they are able to do it themselves. But if a person is deathly ill than I think you should do what ever it takes to make them as comfortable as possible. Some people will get codependent on others and not try and get to the point were they can take care of there selves in that case you should limit yourself to what you do for them.

2.I feel that a person or caregiver can indeed provide to much support in comforting an ill person. For instance women naturally have an ability to care for others, I believe it is simply our role to do so, as mothers we take care of our children, as wives we take care of our husbands, and as women we maintain our households. So when we enter into caregiving as a career, we as women have to remember and differentiate the difference between our roles in our personal lives and our professional lives. When a caregiver overhelps a patient it can make the patient become less willing to do things on their own, placing them in a position where as they become dependant and expect this type of behavior daily. This in turn can have a negative affect on the patient because a patient needs to stay active as their illness will allow.

One of the worst thing a caregiver can do is give to much assistant, this can make the patient feel helpless, I feel that a person that is ill does not want to feel as if they are a burden to their loved ones or anyone at all. So to allow them to do as much as possible on their own will be more beneficial to the patient in the long run as far as their self-esteem, attitude, and the willingness they will have to do things themselves. When a patient is ill it is important to help them continue to have self-confidence in themselves, it gives them hope.

3.Yes I truly believe you can be over supportive. An example is the man we take care of George, when he first came to live with us he was straight out of the hospital, and he was very weak, and still some what ill and on top of all that he is elderly. We babied him by getting his drinks and food, helping him change his clothes and we assisted him with everything, not seeing that we were making things worse, we were unknownly taking away his independence. Therapy came in and told us to stop waiting on him hand and foot and make him get up and do it himself and that's what we did and slowly George started comming back around.

This taught us a very good lesson that you can be supportive by listen, caring and drying their tears but don't go so far as to take away their dignity, pride, and independence, have empathy but don't feel sorry for them and it is easy to get the two confused.

4.Social networks are invaluable to ill people. There are groups of friends, neighbors, relatives, colleagues, or anyone who might come into contact with the individual in a social way. When an individual becomes ill, they require help with many things that are not typically provided through medical care, such as transportation, household tasks, care of children, coverage at work, and other responsibilities. The social network may assist with some of these tasks: for example, a group of neighbors might arrange a schedule on which to provide hot meals to the individual. A social network can also function as a safety net, providing backup for essential services in case of problems.
5.I'm going to choose support group. I think having a support group available when you have just received some bad news is good. I always found it was good to have someone to talk to about your situation especially someone whom is dealing with the same things that you are going through or something similar. Someone will offer some type of support or advice that will help you get through or deal with what ever problem that you were dealing with weather its a problem with you or someone you love. Also you might just need a hug from some one and in a support group there are people that can do that.

6.I am going to have to choose social networks because this covers a wide range of things and not only when a crisis happens. This type of social support is important because it helps people feel valued, supported, confident, and can even help us live longer. The only downfall to this social method is that it may be less affective depending on how many people are participating. The main reason I like this social support is because it is so wide ranged from sexual active teen, and cancer patients all the way to people who have just lost a loved one. Some methods only support certain things or certain people this one supports them all and I find that very important specially in today's society. Although all support methods are important this is the one I thought was the best and perhaps the most effective, anything to help us live longer right?

Thanks, Yesenia. I've replied on the other thread.

Best,

Jo