Writing Homework

Need Help With Writing Homework? Ask a Tutor

Assignment Type Individual Project Deliverable Length 15…

Customer Question
Assignment Type: Individual Project Deliverable...
Assignment Type: Individual Project Deliverable Length: 15 slides and 600-750 word paper Points Possible: 110 Due Date: 7/4/2010 11:59XXXXXYou are the newly appointed President of the local Chamber of Commerce. You are making your first presentation to the Chamber and want to make a good first impression. Your presentation will be based on the following topic, purpose, and audience. Topic: Expected U.S. unemployment rate going forward Audience: Local Chamber of Commerce (any area of your choice) Purpose: Give business leaders an idea of what the unemployment situation may look like based on recent history and expected future conditions Part I Write a 600–750 word research paper given the topic, purpose, and audience information above. In addressing unemployment, it is especially important to consider the following: Trends and statistics You must identify how the unemployment rate was determined by your source of information because there are multiple ways to determine the unemployment rate. Example: Economists have various arguments regarding who to include in the unemployment rate. If a person is 18 years or older and does not have a job, is that person "unemployed"? What if that person is not actively seeking employment? Is this person included in the employment rate? Part II Prepare a PowerPoint presentation, consisting of at least 15 slides, to supplement your research paper and be presented to the Chamber of Commerce of an area of your choice. As with any effective presentation, the PowerPoint should be in color, have at least one chart, and clip art on other slides. PowerPoint Presentation Guidelines The following guidelines for your PowerPoint presentation will be used to grade your work as well: Limit the number of words on slides. Slides are designed to supplement your presentation—not to be your presentation (in this assignment, it is to supplement your research paper). Avoid paragraphs Use bullet points Use succinct phrases instead of sentences Limit each slide to 6 bullet points Simple fonts Fonts "with feet" are easier to read (in a paragraph) Fonts "without feet" make nice titles Choose color combinations that make your presentation easy to read. Limit graphics to 1–3 per page. Too many graphics can be distracting. Bells and whistles tend to be distracting for the viewer. Make sure that special effects have a purpose. Proofread and spell check
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Writing Homework
Relist: I still need help.
Can someone assist me. I still need help.
Relist: I still need help.
Can anyone assist me. I still nee help
Answered in 6 days by:
7/4/2010
Writing Tutor: 10cowife,
 replied 8 years ago
10cowife
I just wrote a paper like this for another person. I can send you the text as a guide but you will want to revise it to be in your own words.

It may also help if I sent you the links I used to create it?

Let me know.

Thanks,
Lizabeth
10cowife
I can take a look at it. Just to see it I can utilize it.
Writing Tutor: 10cowife,
 replied 8 years ago
Hi! I just wrote it for a J A client the day before yesterday...he may not appreciate me sending the exact text without knowing you would only use it as a guide. The links I used for it are few but they were FANTASTIC.

I based most of the info off the Yahoo article (really just reworded and reorganized and added the calculation method) and then backed the statistics and calculation method up by the Bureau of Labor & Statistics website.

SOURCES:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_economy

http://www.bls.gov/cps/cps_htgm.htm

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

Writing Tutor: 10cowife,
 replied 8 years ago
Here is the text that you can use as a model. Please, please, please be sure to use your own words or just use this as a guide. I would hate for the two of you to be in the same class or something!!!

Hopefully this will help you.

Have a great 4th of July.

Sincerely,
Lizabeth
10cowife

-------------------------------
Given the current economic recession, business interests of this Chamber of Commerce of Gretna, Nebraska, include employer ability to retain employees and minimizing layoffs that contribute to the recession and perpetuate the national fear of "double dipping" into a renewed, deeper recession or depression. The expected U.S. unemployment rate going forward is volatile - even the United States government has indicated as recently as July 2, 2010 that employment rates are not recovering as consistently or as quickly as hoped. For the past 2 months, most American businesses have not been hiring and this lackluster report is affecting the economic rebound. The jobless rate fell to 9.5 percent in June, still far too high to indicate a healthy economy. 14.6 million people were unemployed in June according to the U.S. Government's Bureau of Labor statistics. An additional 11.2 million persons have either given up on employment or are underemployed, meaning they have part time work but would prefer full time work. This number also misrepresents the actual number because in May, because 652,000 people gave up looking for work and were no longer counted as unemployed.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) of the U.S. Department of Labor compiles unemployment statistics and publishes them monthly. Statistics are not drawn from those receiving unemployment benefits as some workers are not eligible and others do not request benefits, among other reasons. Instead, the government conducts a monthly sample survey called the Current Population Survey (CPS) to measure unemployment. This survey has been conducted since 1940 when it began as the Work Projects Administration project. In 1994, the CPS received a major redesign and it now basically functions as this: 60,000 households are in the sample. This translates into approximately 110,000 individuals who are selected to represent the entire population of the United States. There are 2,025 geographic sampling units. 824 of these areas represent each state and the District of Columbia, reflecting both urban and rural areas. Every month, one fourth of the households are changed so that no household is interviewed more than 4 consecutive months, among other restrictions. Each month, 2,200 highly trained Census Bureau employees interview persons in the households for information on labor force activities. Labor force info only pertains to individuals 16 years of age and over. Those no longer actively seeking a job are not part of the unemployment count but are listed in the underemployed records. This survey method claims 90 out of 100 chances that the monthly estimate of unemployment from the sample is within about 290,000 of the figure obtainable from a total census.

Teetering housing market and falling factory orders also indicate the economic recovery hoped for is only limping along as we enter the second half of the year when the government's stimulus spending will begin to wear off.

Barack Obama acknowledged that the slow pace of the recovery and new jobs figures argue for more stimulus spending and extended unemployment benefits. He stated that "We're not headed there fast enough for a lot of Americans. We're not headed there fast enough for me, either."

According to the United States Labor Department, the nation's payroll was reduced last month by 125,000, the first decline in 6 months. Part of the reason for the loss was the ending of the 225,000 temporarily held jobs by U.S. Census Bureau workers.

One improvement includes the addition of 83,000 jobs added in the private sector, which was an improvement over May's statistics, when an increase in private sector jobs was nearly nonexistent. This number falls short, however, when the economy needs at least 200,000 jobs per month to bring down the unemployment rate.

The outlook is grim. Neither President Obama, the Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke, nor private economists expect that goal to be reached anytime soon. It also appears the government has few effective options left to assist the limping economy any faster. Interest rates are already near zero. Additional stimulus spending is bound to receive objections from Republicans in Congress.

Therefore, unemployment rates are expected to stay above 9 percent through the midterm elections in November. Some government officials predict joblessness to be still as high as 7.5 percent in two years. In contrast, relatively normal rates are around 6 percent which may be achieved by the middle of the decade.

Even among Americans with secure jobs, confidence is fading. Employee morale and retention of the valuable ones will be crucial to the continued business success. Consumer confidence is well below what is seen in a normal economy. Given worldwide influences such as Europe's debts and an edgy stock market, it is a sensible business plan to review business orders and attempt to maintain payroll. Consumer demand is weak, so larger companies are expecting little to no job growth which only perpetuates the situation. The Dow Jones industrial average has had seven consecutive losing sessions.

Some good news: in June, manufacturers, leisure and hospitality industries, temporary staffing agencies and education and health service providers all added jobs. In contrast, business cutting payroll included retailers, construction firms and financial service providers. State and local governments also are cutting payroll to deal with budget shortfalls while federal government is growing along with the crushing national debt. Business of this Chamber most likely have already made do by taking on more working per employee as other employees have left through attrition, a common occurrence. Businesses are doing more with less, including employees, and just trying to get by. Hourly wages fell 2 cents to $22.53 and workers' hours were also trimmed. These factors could perpetuate the dampening of consumer spending but businesses are trying to survive by running as efficiently and economically as possible.

Obama still claims that we are "headed in the right direction" although by all accounts listed here, it seems we are more accurately moving sideways.

------------------------

SOURCES:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_economy

http://www.bls.gov/cps/cps_htgm.htm

Hello Lizabeth,

I thank you so much, but I also needed 15 slides to go along with assignment. I was not able to utilize the information you submitted, perhaps you assist me with another assignment that is due by the 8th. If interested let me know.

Thanks

Writing Tutor: 10cowife,
 replied 8 years ago
I've got a few other projects running this week that have me booked.

Feel free to post your new question on the list. Another expert should be able to help you.

Thanks!
Lizabeth
10cowife