Writing Homework

Need Help With Writing Homework? Ask a Tutor

I need help with a short paper in HCA 230

Customer Question
I need help with my HCA 230 Communication...
I need help with my HCA 230 Communication skills for the health care professional class. Write a(NNN) NNN-NNNNwrd paper APA format describing two different cultures and their views on health. What are the implications to health care providers? consider views on the following: Health as organic Health as harmony and disease as a curse or stigma... please let me know asap if you can help so then if not I can ask someone else it is due on sunday by midnight ... thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Writing Homework
6/17/2010
Writing Tutor: MyLife1966,
 replied 8 years ago
MyLife1966
Thanks for using JustAnswer. Can you please tell me exactly what sort of help you need?

hello!

I need a a(NNN) NNN-NNNNwrd paper in APA format describing two different cultures and their views on health. What are the implications to health care providers? consider views on the following: Health as organic Health as harmony and disease as a curse or stigma... please let me know asap if you can help so then if not I can ask someone else it is due on sunday by midnight ... thanks

Writing Tutor: wyalusingtim,
 replied 8 years ago
wyalusingtim
I don't think I can help with this right now. At the best. I could look for some related on-line links that could help you with your paper. It is a little vague - are they asking about cultures in the U.S. - ethnic groups?
Writing Tutor: wyalusingtim,
 replied 8 years ago

This link about religious diversity may be helpful in identifying concerns health care providers need to be aware of.

http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/pastoral/resed/diversity_points.html

This link is awesome - being aware of trends as diverse groups change, especially in large urban settings.

http://www.culturecareconnection.org/competent/index.html

And this link is about Hispanic culture and healthcare providers.

http://www.hrsa.gov/culturalcompetence/qualityhealthservices/knowtheculture.htm

You should be able to create a thesis statement, outline, and provide the information with APA style references. Check the links to see what references they used.

Another way to get references is to look up content specific books on Amazon. View a portion of the book - site a page specific to your paper, and use the publisher info, etc. for your reference, besides using on-line references.

Writing Tutor: wyalusingtim,
 replied 8 years ago

Here is an example of communications that health care providers in medical settings are concerned about with respect to different cultures - this was specific to a facility in Michigan. See if the content and references could assist you with your paper. if it does, please accept the answer and leave positive feedback. i will do likewise.

Be sure to re-word the ideas in your own words and/or quote properly.

I. Cultural & Linguistic Health Care Communication is mandated
A. Civil Rights Act of 1964
1) Title VI
2) Office of Civil Rights
3) Office of Minority Health
B. Healthy People 2010
1) Mandates unfunded
2) Federal funding

II. The Linguistics challenge
A. Relationship between language & culture
B. Ethnography of communication
C. Speech communities
D. Identity formation
1. Rules and identifiers
2. Apllication
E. Cultural models
F. Language pitfalls
1. Stereotypes
2. Labeling
3. Multilingualism

III. Recent Impact on University of Michigan Hospital
A. Communication Efforts
1. Referring Physician Advisory Council on Communication Services
2. Bioethics Program
B. Two related health care communication issues
1. Health Care Agents
a. purpose of an agent
b. living will
2. Advance Directives
a. Dr. Maria Silveira
b. Decision Making Capacity at Death

IV. Meeting the Communication Challenge

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1140704/?tool=pmcentrez

Mandates, starting with the Title VI of the Civil Rights Act, have pressured medical organizations to address health care communication. The University of Michigan Hospital, which like many other hospitals, utilize federal funds. Within the scope of the mandates, the Office of Civil Rights and the Office of Minority Health have established 14 standards for culturally and linguistically appropriate health services. As minorities gain more political power enforcement of mandates has prmpted hospitals to adopt various reforms. To stay up todate, health organizations participate in developing goals identified such as by the Healthy People 2010 initiiative. The University of Michigan Hospital has recently identified areas requiring improvements in health care communication. Administrators are facing several challenges as it seeks the best way to implement communication strategies.

The most basic challenge that hospitals, such as The University of Michigan Hospital, is intrinsic to the complexity of addressing multiple languages and cultures. Because language and culture are interwoven it is difficult to weave a basket that can contain all the issues that have to be addressed.(1) Physicians and Nurses go through extensive training to learn the professional vocabulary they utilize on a daily basis. How does a medical community effectively share health care information when there is such a large gap between professionals who work within the system daily and patients who have limited contact with the community? Its first task is to develop an appreciation for the "ethnography" of communication. What ethnographers have discovered is that patterns of communicative behavior occur at the individual, group and societal levels of a society. At the individual level, personal characteristics may influence language use. For instance, an individual's language use may reflect various emotional states such as nervousness or fear (Saville-Troike, 2003). Being able to recognize if a patient is afraid or nervous by their use of language is critical for health service providers. Saville-Troike (2003) also discussed speech communities. An important point to realize is that although a patient and/or family members may speak the common tongue, i.e. English, it may be used with cultural patterns familiar to their group or culture which can impact the meaning of words. Social workers or a special section within the hospital should identify the groups and cultures that they serve and identify common differences and work with the medical community to keep them informed.

Identity formation is very important because it establishes social relationships between a doctor, nurse, technician, administrator and the patient. The relationship has important aspects on interactions - communication between persons based on how they perceive their place in social structures. (Howard 2000) A physician who has the ability to recognize this can assure a patient that he or she is free to talk to them as if they were at a level that promotes openess in communication. Harumi Williams ( ) pointed out an excellent example of how language can denote a persons level in social structures and how involved and evoloved it can be (cited from Saville-Troike, 2003) -
"provides an example of the choices a Japanese woman offering tea in her home might make, moving from lower to higher status":
Ocha? (to own children) [tea]
2 Ocha do? (to own children, friends who are younger than self, own younger brothers and sisters) [tea how-about]
Ocha ikaga? (to friends who are the same age, own older brothers and sisters) [tea how-about (polite)]
Ocha ikaga desu ka? (to husband, own parents, own aunts and uncles, husband's younger brothers and sisters) [tea how-about (polite) is Q]
Ocha wa ikaga desu ka? (to own grandparents) [tea topic how-about (polite) is Q]
Ocha ikaga desho ka? (to husband's elder brothers and sisters) [tea how-about (polite) is (polite) Q]
Ocha wa ikaga desho ka? ( to teachers, husband's parents, husband's boss, husband's grandparents) [tea topic how-about (polite) is (polite) Q] (Saville-Troike, 2003, p. 44).

Also, just as important as recognizing how a person perceives oneself in a social structure can help remove communication barriers, being aware of Cultural Models can help a physician avoid misunderstandings about health care. Religious and scientific perspectives represent two different culturally-defined ways to view and explain the world. Gee (1999) calls such world constructions cultural models. The use of words such as operation or x-ray can trigger strong emotional responses depending on this world view a person has. American Indians, for example, reacted fearfully to having their picture taken - fearing that the picture captured their soul! Seeing into someone with an x-ray can be deeply compelling - too personal for some cultures so it must be handled carefully- respecfully.

To assist physicians who refer their patients to the University of Michigan Hospital in communicating key information to patients before they are sent there for a procedure, etc. the Hospital has an Referring Physician Advisory Council that physicians can register with on-line and have access to resources. A final area that requires review is to overcome the "us and them" stereotyping. At a societal level, ideologies of the in-group ("us") and the out-group ("them") may reflect cultural attitudes about members of other ethnic, racial, religious, gender, or other backgrounds (Hausendorf & Kesselheim, 2002). Even the concept of health care proveder versus patient can invoke a gap due to a perceived stereotype. I once observed two nurses discussing their lunch plans while working with a "patient" as if the patient didn't eat also. What was worse the patient felt uncomfortable about interrupting even though they were about to prep the wrong leg for a procedure. Labeling which is related to stereotyping has another impact on medical communities. Labeling can make it difficult to attract members of minorities to participate in important study groups. These examples reveal how the complexity of language and communication can impact the quality of medical services received. Overcoming these barriers in order to comply with mandates requires a committment and allocation of resources by the health care community. Solving these problems is not just as simple as employing multi-lingual speakers.

Two departments within the University of Michigan Hospital specifically address communication issues. The Referring Physician Advisory Council works with physicians who need to communicate with patients that are being referred to the hospital for a procedure or test. Within the hospital its, own Bioethics program has tasks involving various communication issues with stake holders.

Bibliography

Gee, J.P. (1999). An introduction to discourse analysis: Theory and method . London: Routledge.

Hausendorf, H., & Kesselheim, W. (2002). The communicative construction of group identities: A basic mechanism of social categorization. In A. Duszak (Ed.), Us and others: Social identities across languages, discourses and cultures (pp. 265-289). Philadelphia: John Benjamins Publishing Company.

Howard, J. (2000). Social psychology of identities. Annual Review of Sociology, 26, (1), 367-393. Retrieved April 15, 2008 from EBSCO online database, SocINDEX, http://web.ebscohost.com.ezproxy.apollolibrary.com/ehost/[email protected]&vid=3&hid=102&db=rst&ss=AN+%223780377%22&sl=ll

Saville-Troike, M. (2003). The ethnography of communication . Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing.

References
(1)LINK:http://search.ebscohost.com.ezproxy.apollolibrary.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=rst&AN=36267917&site=ehost-live

<p>I'm confused did you write the above or get it from a website?</p><p> </p><p>I need a paper written for me ... I do not have time to write one... please let me know if you can ASAP otherwise I would like you to opt out</p><p> THANKS!! :)</p>

I have a sample paper that maybe you could possibly reword, other than that I need one written for me... please let me know asap.

thanks

Ro-T8

are you able to help me with this paper since Timothy can't?

please let me know ASAP... otherwise I need to find someone who can.

Thanks so much

Relist: expert can't help.
expert can't help
Writing Tutor: wyalusingtim,
 replied 8 years ago

I'm not sure if the other expert will help you or not, but there are two distinctions about writing a paper. 1) obtaining the information to incorporate into the paper and 2) organizing it and actually writing it.

Also, if you have a paper partially written - already have selected your content and need reinforcement and more support of the ideas then a link to your paper on-line will help an expert assist you and then you can remove it after the expert has a chance to copy it to their own word processor to analyze and study it. have them inform you when they have done that so you can delete it. I opted out as you requested. Did you visit the three links to get some ideas, as well as some of the ideas I shared with you in the paper I had written previously - some of the references could be used in your paper?

Take care, I hope one of the other experts can help you.