Wedding

Have Wedding Planning Questions? Ask Wedding Planners

Wedding

My daughter was given a beaded rayon and polyester gown to

Customer Question
My daughter was given a...
My daughter was given a white beaded rayon and polyester gown to wear but it was left in dry cleaners plastic and yellowed. ( only the overlaywith the beading). How do I do this at home. All area dry cleaners want $200 plus to clean it.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Wedding
The label does say dry clean only.
4/13/2017
Wedding Planner: matt50025002, M.B.A. replied 9 months ago
matt50025002
matt50025002, M.B.A.

As much as it would be great if there was a DIY kit to clean a yellowed gown, there are so many variables and fabric types available that it makes it just about impossible to promise you won’t end up doing more harm to your gown than good. If you do choose to undergo this painstaking process yourself, here are a few important notes.

Bleach – While great for getting stains out of Johnny’s baseball pants, bleach is a killer when it comes to delicate fabrics such as silk. In addition to not getting out stains very well, bleach can dissolve the adornments on your gown and cause permanent fabric damage.

Soak, when possible, don’t scrub – Most fabric specialists recommend soaking your wedding gown in lukewarm water rather than scrubbing the fibers of your gown. Soaking allows stains to gently lift out of the gown without damaging or fraying the fabric.

Determine your Fabric Type – The main question here is silk or non-silk. Non-silk wedding gowns have a much higher threshold for cleaning solvents. As long as your wedding dress has simply yellowed and doesn’t have deep-set brown to black spot staining, you may be able to restore your gown yourself. Silk is a much different story. Also keep in mind that while topical type stains such as lipstick are easier to remove, deep set stains such as body oils or wine are best left to the professionals.

Use Caution with that Iron – Ironing your dress can get you into a sticky situation – quite literally! If delicate fabrics are sticking to your iron, it’s time to turn the iron down, or better yet, turn it off. First you should try running your bathroom shower as hot as it will go for around a half hour with your dress hanging on the back of the door. Sometimes a bit of a steam bath is enough to allow stubborn creases to fall away.

Hope this can help you in cleaning your dress by yourself, thanks

Could you please tell me what I could use on this fabric. ( rayon and polyester with beading). I do understand bleach cannot be used and soaking is best.

If you wash a rayon garment that isn't washable it will shrink, stretch, and possibly bleed dyes all over. You may not be able to wear it again so be sure to double-check the label's instructions.

2. Washing all rayon by hand is, of course, preferable. Though we've said it can be done in a washing machine (using a net bag or alone in the machine), remember that rayon is likely to be damaged when it's wet. The washing machine's agitation alone could ruin it so be careful if you decide to go that route.

3. Wash in cool or temperate water with your han-washing detergent. Gently squeeze and massage the soapsuds into the fabric. Rinse thoroughly in cool water.

4. Never wring, twist, or bunch up rayon. Shake it out gently and smooth out the wrinkles with your hands.

5. Hang your garment on a non-metal hanger to dry. Wire hangers will most likely leave rust spots on your garment. If it could lose it's shape, you can dry it flat. It will dry best on a drying rack this way rather than on a towel if you have one.

6. Be sure to iron all rayon inside out to prevent it from shining. Use low heat and press it while it is slightly damp to ease the wrinkling. If you must touch up the right side of the garment, be sure to cover it with your pressing cloth first.

Tips & Warnings:

• Be sure to iron rayon while it's still damp. It will make the job much easier.
  • Never iron rayon right side out without a pressing cloth to protect it. Rayon will gain a shine to it if you iron it directly. Either iron the inside of the garment or use a pressing cloth on the outside.
As stated above. My daughter received a white gown (rayon overlay with beading and polyester under. )the gown has yellowed because of the dry cleaning bag it had been stored in. I would like to clean it myself ( all dry cleaners I have gone to want $200 or more to clean it) please if you could give me instructions on how to clean and what I should use. Thank you
Wedding Planner: Michael, Wedding Consultant replied 9 months ago
Michael
Michael, Wedding Consultant

Good evening,

The instructions given above are things that are listed online to fix the problem as good idea to follow. Much can go wrong and nobody wants this gown to be ruined. While all my research points to spending the money at a qualified dry cleaner, here is another option to attempt:

http://www.articlesfactory.com/articles/fitness/how-to-clean-yellowed-wedding-dresses-gowns.html

I hope that this information was found useful as please inform me of any additional questions/concerns you have. Also if you could take a second to rate my assistance so that I know my help was found useful today.

Take care,

Michael

Michael
Michael
Michael, Wedding Consultant