Wedding

Have Wedding Planning Questions? Ask Wedding Planners

I have a proposal etiquette question. My girlfriend and I…

Customer Question
I have a proposal...

I have a proposal etiquette question. My girlfriend and I are in our early 60's. We've both been married before and are widowed. We've been dating for about six months. We've told each other that we want to marry one day and spend the rest of our lives together. Sometime later this year, I want to propose in an official, romantic way. She has already told me that, for an engagement ring, she would want to wear her mother's ring, which she now has in a box. How do propose when my intended already owns the ring she would wear as her engagement ring? I don't want to propose empty-handed.

Expert's Assistant: One is pleased to hear you are seeking aid with your manners. Coming from a very English-infused family, I learnt my Ps and Qs very early in life.

Do you have an answer to the question I asked?

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Etiquette Expert should know?

Did you read the question I asked above?

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Wedding
2/21/2017
Wedding Planner: Michael, Wedding Consultant replied 1 year ago
Michael
Michael, Wedding Consultant

Good evening and welcome to Just Answers,

Congratulations first on going ahead with the idea of a proposal to someone that I know will make you happy for years to come. The best years are ahead I know.

Since your intended already owns a ring that she wants to wear when married, consider something that would be in a box that can be a "stand-in" for the ring. Something like an inexpensive costume jewelry ring with super sparkly "stones" in her favorite color.or a ring that has some sort of symbolic relevance. I would bet that she will find this wonderful and wish to keep it for the rest of her time with you. It's about a token, something she can keep to symbolize the proposal but also to remember the moment.

I hope that this information was found useful as please let me know of any additional questions/concerns you might have. Also if you could take a quick second to rate my assistance so that I know my help was found useful tonight.

Take care,

Michael

Wedding Planner: The1Caretaker, Clergy replied 1 year ago
The1Caretaker

As a lady of your intended's age and a professional etiquette instructor, my suggestion would be what is called a 'right hand ring'. These are often diamond rings with accents that can serve as an engagement ring or be worn for 'show'. I would imagine that your fiance' would love something genuine to mark the day and something she can show off on her right hand while explaining the sentiment behind the ring she wears with her wedding ring

Any jeweler will know the term 'right hand ring' as in recent years they've become quite popular, even purchased by women for themselves rather than expect someone else to buy them 'the perfect diamond'. You can, of course, also choose other stones or a combination.

A double set diamond is frequently associated with one diamond for my best friend, one for my true love (commercials tout this all the time); the triple diamond set is for 'our past, our present and our time to come'

Diamonds are traditional engagement stones, but since you'll be offering a right hand ring you can be imaginative and choose the triple setting with the diamond in the middle and your birth stone on one side of it; hers on the other.

In any case, something memorable that can be the start of a new heirloom would be my suggestion