Cheryl
Cheryl, Wedding Advisor
Experience:  Extensive Experience as a Consultant, Teacher, Counselor, Advisor
1470369

Father of the Groom is recently deceased. Mother of the

Father of the Groom is recently deceased. Mother of the Bride passed away five years ago. Bride has limited relationship with father. Bride's aunt and uncle helped support her and are paying for the entire wedding. She has asked her uncle to perform the ceremony. Bride was wanting to place a picture of her mom in the first chair of first row followed by her dad, only living grandmother, aunt (who has taken on the role as guardian), male cousin (who is like a brother) and two brother in laws. She is wanting to place a picture of the groom's deceased father in first chair on the right side aisle followed by groom's mother, two sisters and two brother in laws. Father of the bride has a new girlfriend that the family has not met. Is it inappropriate to have her sit among the other guest instead of on the row with the brides family? And would the rest of the seating be appropriate as I have described?

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thanks

Hi again,

It would be appropriate for the girlfriend of the father of the bride to sit next to him in the row with the bride's family. Although she is a 'new' person that no one has yet met, she belongs next to the father of the bride, who will sit in the first row on the bride's side, out of respect to the father of the bride and to the girlfriend.

Unless the bride is very much against this, this is the most appropriate way it should be done. It also may be a good idea to have the family meet the father's girlfriend before the wedding.

Your other description regarding the rest of the seating, sounds fine.

I hope this helped and many congratulations to the happy couple!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply to Expert' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Would it be horrible if the bride asked that the girlfriend sit with extended family members since she and her father have an estranged relationship? She isn't comfortable with her sitting on the front row where her mother should have the place of honor.

Hi again, and thanks for your reply and additional question. I was just notified of your post.

I was thinking the same thing re: not wanting to detract from her mother's picture in the front row representing her, in memorium, in combination with her having an estranged relationship with her father.

It might be a good idea to have the girlfriend sit in the second row, directly behind the bride's father, with extended family.

I hope this helped you further.

Warmest regards,

Cher