Wedding

Have Wedding Planning Questions? Ask Wedding Planners

Wedding

i am marrying an egyptian man i am british when i arrive in ...

Customer Question
i am marrying an egyptian...
i am marrying an egyptian man i am british when i arrive in cario how long does this take to sort out paperwork
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Wedding
12/16/2006
Wedding Planner: Tanya, Wedding Coordinator replied 11 years ago
Tanya
Tanya, Wedding Coordinator
Below is the information you will need. This information is geared toward a US citizen, but it should be close to what you would need. Contact the Egyptian Consultate to find out exactly what you might need. I hope this information will be helpful for you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Egyptian Consulate

Marriage in Egypt is a civil ceremony performed at the local marriage court. If you want to marry in Egypt, you will need the following documents:

passport
Proof that you can marry (divorce or death certificates)
proof that both parties are free to marry
no-objection statement from the both parties
application forms to be completed at the marriage court
The American citizen must file a I-130 immigrant visa petition for his/her spouse. The spouse of the American citizens are not subjected to any annual limitations, meaning that the person do not need to wait until their priority date becomes current before their immigrant visa is processed.

Upon approval, they will immediately be sent a list of documents needed to apply for an immigrant visa. The spouse will then inform the Consulate that they have secured all the documents on the list, and they will be scheduled for an interview.

If a US citizen visits the country of his/her fiancé(e) and decided to marry, call the US Consulate and find out if you could do Direct Consular Filing. The Consulate will mail you any information about the processing.

Upon receipt of the information, gather all your documents and apply directly at the US Consulate. When the Consulate receives your paperwork, they will schedule the interview and medical exam.

Once the interview is successful, the applicant will be issued an immigrant visa which allows the alien to enter the US as an immigrant. On your Port of Entry, you will receive a stamp on your passport quoting that you are a permanent resident of the US. The stamp is good until you receive the actual green card. Your class definition will be "CR-1" (Conditional Permanent Resident) and "IR" if you are a permanent resident without conditions (married over 2 years). The CR-1 must apply for the I-751 within the 90 days period before the green card expires.

You can apply for your Social Security card with this stamp and do not need to apply for advance parole in travelling outside the US.

Get more information at 9 Fam Part IV, Appendix N, 200 Visa Petition

Please note that not all consulates allow this kind of processing (example, Canada). Check with the consulate abroad to see if a Direct Consular Filing is allowed and what proceedures are needed in filing your I-130 petition.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some marriages abroad are always performed by a civil or religious officials. Consular Officers may authenticate foreign marriage documents. The embassy or tourist information bureau of that country in which the marriage is to be performed is your best source of information about marriage. Marriages abroad are subject to the residency requirements of the country in which the marriage will be performed. There is always a waiting period.

Most countries requires:

Valid U.S. passport
Birth certificates
Divorce papers
Death certificates
Other countries require that the documents presented to the registrar to be authenticated in the United States by a consular official of that country. The process is time consuming & expensive. Civil law countries require proof of legality to enter into a marriage contract in the form of certification that no obstruction exists to the marriage. No such document exists in the United States. Unless the foreign authorities will allow such a statement to be executed before one of their consular officials in the United States, it will be necessary for the couple to a prospective marriage abroad to execute an affidavit at the American Embassy or Consulate in the country where the wedding will take place stating that they are free to marry. It is called an affidavit of eligibility to marry. Other countries may require witnesses who will sign the affidavits that both parties are free to marry. Many countries including the United States require blood tests.
Tanya
Tanya
Tanya, Wedding Coordinator