Wedding

Have Wedding Planning Questions? Ask Wedding Planners

Wedding

How do I fix a dress that's too tight

Customer Question
The zipper won't zip at...
The zipper won't zip at the top, and I was told there wasn't room to let the seams out. I don't have time to order a new one. Need help ASAP! This is a bridesmaid dress, and I need something I can do myself, and in the next few days.
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Wedding
7/24/2006
Wedding Planner: Tanya, Wedding Coordinator replied 11 years ago
Tanya
Tanya, Wedding Coordinator
A couple of ideas would be to have a good seamstress take out the zipper and make the back into a corset type, where you could tie it at a comfort level.

The other idea would be to visit a good shop that features bridal undergarmets. They may have a good "corset" type garmet that would pull you in just enough to be able to zip the dress without having to worry about the zipper breaking.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
Reply to Tanya's Post: Could you possibly give me instructions on how to make the back into a corset type? I don't think I could get a seamstress to do it on this short notice. I have a wrap that I'm wearing that will cover most of it anyway, so I don't care if it doesn't come out perfectly if I do it myself.
The gist of what you would do is to remove the zipper and sew a clean, finished seam. Sew the seam to where it's comfortable to slip into the dress then start the loops at this point. I would recommend going to a fabric store and getting fabric as close to your dress as possible. (you might also purchase a pattern that has the corset back for reference.)

You need to sew loops in the back so a ribbon (generally a piece of the same dress fabric or maybe in this case, look for ribbon that would work) can be criss-crossed through it to pull the back together. You can also put a modesty piece (which is a solid piece of fabric that attaches from side to side in the back) in then then when the dress is laced, you don't have an "exposed back". (This is hard to explain without drawing a picture :-) Tie the ribbon in a bow just below your waist. Try to allow enough ribbon so the streamers hand at least half way down the dress skirt so it looks like it was meant to be made this way.

I'd still see if you can't find a seamstress who can do this for you. Explain to her your situation. This would be so much better than stressing out yourself...if possible. Call a bridal shop or wedding coordinator for referrals. It's surprising what a seamstress can do on such short notice!

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
Tanya
Tanya, Wedding Coordinator
Tanya
Tanya
Tanya, Wedding Coordinator