VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I just bought this used passat and drove it 70 miles ran…

Customer Question
Hi I just bought...

Hi I just bought this used passat and drove it 70 miles ran fine, pulled up in drive way, went to start it and it doesn't turn over, and engine seems hot

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the engine spark at all? Is there a trouble code or is your "check engine light" on?

Yes, and an E something comes on.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Passat?

2002, high miles, 190,000

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing, just so sad cause thought oh i made a great deal, a mechanic said yes running great,

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Could it be the timing belt?

Submitted: 10 days ago.Category: VW
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/11/2018
VW Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 10 days ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

On any car if you get a check engine light or other fault light this typically means one or more of the sensors has failed or has a faulty connection.

The fault can be something quite simple and nothing that’s going to stop the car to something quite major that will reduce engine power and possibly stop the engine

The ECU senses this and may put the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revs and the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode is intended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

You can do a very rough and ready check yourself by unplugging sensors one at a time and seeing if any of them change the driving condition which would indicate the most recently unplugged sensor is the faulty one. This method is not foolproof though and reading a fault code off is the better method.

If you can tell me what code you get I can provide further help

You can also try resetting the car by removing both battery leads and clamping them together for 10 mins as this will reset everything so if the light re-appears then the fault is still there.
Disconnect the battery cables and clamp them together for 10 mins. Remove both battery leads from the battery then use a nut and bolt or G-clamp to hold both battery lead terminals together.

This discharges any capacitors / memory within the ECU and around the car so ensures all memory settings are wiped clear - back to the factory default.

This will reset all the systems on the car and you may need the radio security code to get it going again, and ensure that the keys are in your hand when you re-connect the battery as the car may lock and turn on the alarm

from your description I'd 1st check that the battery connections are on tightly and are clean with no corrosion

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

VW Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 5 days ago

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt