VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

No power.. lots of misfiring and a stuck open injector

Customer Question
No power.. lots of...

No power.. lots of misfiring and a stuck open injector circuit for 1. po201

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Pretty constant but eventually if i drive it long enough i can get up to 60.. i dont want to pull out in front of anyone thats for sure

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '60 VW?

2001 jetta vr6 12 valve gas

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?

Changed the plugs out.. fixed a small vacuum leak.. it kind of huphs and puffs when you step on the gas.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Replaced the upper timing chain several months ago and ran great.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: VW
5/31/2018
VW Mechanic: Danny, VW Mechanic replied 2 months ago
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic

You have a fault in the circuit for the cylinder 1 injector. It's fairly common for these ones to fail. Check for 12v at the injector harness on one of the wires, and you can use an LED or computer safe test light to probe one wire on the injector connector with the tip and the other with the tail, and it should flash when cranking. Also measure the resistance of cylinder 1 injector against a couple of the other injectors. I think you're going to find that the resistance of the first injector is incorrect. What you can also do is move that cylinder 1 injector to a different cylinder and if the fault moves to that cylinder it's the injector, if not it's the wiring or the engine computer (unlikely).

I want to take a minute to explain how this site works.

We work from our cell phones, shops, homes, etc to help people fix their cars. Recently the site added a membership feature for our customers to get more questions for less money. Unfortunately it has caused confusion with some customers who think that because they've become members or payed a deposit, they don't need to rate or accept our answer.

If you don't accept the answer, we don't even get an hourly wage, and because of the memberships, I have seen my accept percentage fall by almost half.

You're completely covered by both your credit card, and you can put in for a refund if I can't work out a successful solution to your problem. Please remember to hit accept, the site is getting paid but a lot of us experts are not getting our cut of correctly answered questions because of confusion about the site.

You can still come back later and ask follow up questions if necessary on this page even after you hit accept, but if you
leave to fix the vehicle and don't return in time, it will time out, the site keeps your money, and even though I was right, I get nothing.