VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

When 1987 vanagon\westfalia has been stressed by a drive, it…

Customer Question
When 1987 vanagon\westfalia has...

When 1987 vanagon\westfalia has been stressed by a long drive, it won't turn over, but can be compression started

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

The battery and cables have been cleaned and a jump doesn't do the trick. it seems to be a temperature related issue. the starter won't turn over, but with a push, the engine will fire off

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '87 VW?

Vanagon/transporter

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am...we tried changing the ignition switch contact block, but that didn't cure the issue. initially it wqs only on long drives (ie. Seattle to N California) that it would happen, and would randomly stop being a problem. now it refuses to start at all, even though it's sat overnight in cool temperatures

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that it seems to be a stress/heat related issue (driving in 90+ deg weather or going over mountain passes)

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: VW
5/31/2018
VW Mechanic: Martin, auto electrical replied 2 months ago
Martin, auto electrical

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer.

The reason for the engine not start after driving it on a long journey is heat. The heat jam the pistons in the cylinders. Its usually not a complete lock up but the piston over exspand and is then touching the cylinder wall. When it's cooled down the clearance is back to normal. The reason for this to happen is oil loss through wear, on the bearings is usually the first place it start.

What you can do is to try a thicker oil voscosity that might rectify the problem.

But you state the engine does not want to start at all now. The cylinders might have siezed completely now. To test this try to turn the engine by hand with a spanner on the crank shaft pulley.

This should give you an insight to the problem you have should you need more assistance please do not hesitate to ask.

Greetings,

Martin.