VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I changed the water pump and timing belt on my 1995 eurovan…

Customer Question
I changed the water...

I changed the water pump and timing belt on my 1995 eurovan 2.5L gas motor. Now it has no power when starting out and going up hills. Does timing need to be adjusted? Do you need special tools to adjust timing or just a timing light?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

It is consistent. Runs well on flat ground but no power to go up hills.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Special?

1995 eurovan camper with winnipego conversion

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Special yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes fixing myself. This happened after I changed water pump and timing belt. Haven't tried anything else. Seems to run fine except no power

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thats about it

Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: VW
5/30/2018
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 18 days ago
kyle swart

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for using just answer. I would double check your alignment marks for the camshaft and crankshaft.

Kyle S.
A.S.E. certified master auto technician
licensed smog technician, test and repair, L-1 advanced engine performance certified
Certified Volkswagen technician, 2003,2004,2013,2014,2015
Volkswagen and Audi independent 12 years

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Have already checked. Not the problem
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 18 days ago

you did say the problem was not present before changing the timing belt and water pump, correct? The distributor is ran off the camshaft, it should not have changed if the cam was placed back where it was before the belt. Was the camshaft pulley loosened or removed from the camshaft during the repair? thanks.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
camshaft pulley was removed in order to change water pump
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 18 days ago

Ok. I would line up your marks with the cam and crank, then remove the distributor cap and see where the ignition rotor is in relation to the cylinder #1 spark plug wire slot in the distributer. I am trying to remember if the camshaft pulley is aligned to the cam with a half moon key (woodruff key), or if it floats and is aligned then tightened in position.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Cam pulley has a half moon key
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 18 days ago

Ok. Its pretty easy to get off a tooth on the cam. Not to mention, Its almost impossible to see the marks on the cam with how tight a space it is. Did you use the marks on the harmonic balancer and shield for the crank, or from the block and crank pulley for the timing belt?

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Harmonic balancer and sheild
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 18 days ago

ok. send me a pic of the marks on the balancer and shield, as well as the cam, if you can, thank you.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
might be a couple of hours as my wife is out with the van right now
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 18 days ago

Ok no problem. ill check in later today or tommorow.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Thanks chat with you later
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 18 days ago

Everything looks good. I am going to opt out and let others assist you, a vehicle this old with this type of problem will be tough to diagnose via web.

VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 18 days ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Hello, I'm Wolfgang.

* WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.

* FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.

* PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.

* UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.

* RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Did you scan the vehicle for codes ?

please do let me know!!

thanks

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
No I don’t have an obd1 scanner

when you did the belt did you set the distributor gear correctly on the belt in relation to the rotor on the mark?

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
I’m not sure I understand your question. The timing belt runs the water pump and camshaft. I didn’t see a distributor gear. Where is this gear located? I made sure all the timing marks were lined up correctly as shown in the pictures I sent to the previous mechanic helping me.

vin # please!!

thanks

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
WV2EE0708SH114282

i may be thinking 4 cyl you have a 5 let me double check!!

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
it is a 5 cyl

i know the flywheel mark is real hard look at the attachment and check the timing with the crank pulley lined up at the mark and then recheck the cam . If i remember correctly its not a marked line but a stamped line.!!

let me know!!

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
I’ll work on it tomorrow and get back to you. Thanks
My pleasure
vwnewton
vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced