VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

01 vw beetle. Replaced fuel pump. Shut down while driving.

Customer Question
01 vw beetle Mechanic's...

01 vw beetle

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced fuel pump. Shut down while driving. Replaced fuel filter. Shut down while driving again. Replaced relay and now says p1541 open circuit for relay. Trying to figure out why this code came up. No codes came up when car shut down while driving. Justbsfter replacingbfuel filter relay. Other relay looked burt on prongs but pump still kicked on. Cleaned throttle body and changed coils as well also clean maf and new airfilter.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the fuel filter an external one, or is it inside the tank?

Inside tank.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: VW
5/30/2018
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 2 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Hello, I'm Wolfgang.

* WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.

* FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.

* PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.

* UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.

* RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

i do need a vin # to get the factory info to assist!!

thanks

3VWDC21C71M412439
I need to fix this car by today. I have to go to work tomorrow and im tired of throwing money into this thing.
I just took a look at other relay. Looks as though there is a pin missing on the relay. Not sure if it was broken before or ? If it broke when put in. So now i know why code is there. How would i go about getting small pin out ? And woukd there be another reason why car woukd shut down while driving with no codes....
VW Mechanic: Danny, VW Mechanic replied 2 months ago
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Just give me one second I'm a Volkswagen specialist I just need to read what's been written above and I'll be able to help you
Both the fuel pump relay and the crankshaft position sensor will fail and cause the vehicle to shut down without any fault codes and this is because there are multiple sections to the fuel pump relay and it can shut down in a way that will cause no faults.For future reference anytime you replace a fuel pump you want to do the relay and the filter as well.When it shuts down while driving does it fire right back up or is it take a while?The next time it happens what you want to do is hopefully at you have a scan tool that's capable of reading real time sensor values and you want to crank vehicle over and observe the tachometer and see if it shows that the RPM is about 200 because if not that indicates the crankshaft sensor is possibly not working. You could be sure with the scan tool by reading the engine RPM with the scan tool while cranking and it will tell you whether or not it's registering and that the engine is spinning. Obviously if it's not showing any RPM then you know that the crank sensor is faulty.Let me know about what happens when this thing shuts down like how long it takes to get it started again each time.What I would use to get the broken pin out is pick tool or it's sometimes they call them dental picks their only a couple dollars at any auto parts store they're just little sharp metal ice pick looking things with different shapes and you should be able to just pull the pin out that way with some work or some very small needle-nose pliers also Harbor Freight sells those.
How can i test the crankshaft sensor without taking it off. I cant really unscrew it. Not sure what to do. How to test relay as well...
Is there an easier method to removing this crankshaft sensor. Is there a way to test it. And is there a way to test sensor. Just bought a digital meter.