VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Intermit starting problem, no real pattern. But, when it…

Customer Question
Intermit starting problem, no...

Intermit starting problem, no real pattern. But, when it starts it runs great, plenty of power, no hesitation, RMP's good. First though maybe a bad fuel issue but that was dealt with.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Local mechanic doesn't think it's the starter, because he said you wouldn't get any crank. I had one suggestion it could be a heat issue with the solenoid.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

2006 beetle 2.5 automatic

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?

It's at goodyear dealer they are doing a diagnostic but the are no warning lights or codes coming up.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Always starts first thing in morning so it's not a battery, Monday after work after sitting about 3,5 hours it would not start. But, with one turn of the key Tues. morning it started right up and ran great.

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: VW
5/30/2018
VW Mechanic: peterpete190, Technician replied 26 days ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today. In some cases, I may need more info to assist better. I apologize for any delay.
I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

One very common cause for this issue here that I have run into several times and had to replace is the crank position sensor itself. It fails to send the position signal of the crankshaft to the ignition components and engine computer. When this occurs this fault will happen here.

In a lot of cases, no fault codes will set which then makes it difficult to diagnose in some cases. What can be done though is to plug in a compatible scan tool or computer that can read all computers in your vehicle to see what codes are set. Once this is done any codes set then need to be diagnosed.If there are no codes set then use the scan tool to monitor the engine rpm signal when the issue occurs. If the rpm signal drops off or drops out or is erratic with this fault then the crank sensor needs to be replaced. This sensor was one of the most common causes for this fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above). You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question. I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete