VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Got a used radio for my 2011 jetta wagon and was wondering…

Customer Question
Got a used radio...

Got a used radio for my 2011 jetta wagon and was wondering if I need a code when I install it

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?

The radio that came with it would not turn on even after I installed it corerectly. I got a different one and elswhere its stating I would need a code to fully use it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't believe so

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: VW
5/30/2018
VW Mechanic: Danny, VW Mechanic replied 24 days ago
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
when you install this radio you're going to need the radio code so you might as well just go to the dealership because we're not allowed to give the codes out, they're supposed to do it for free, and if it's already removed they probably will. A lot of times people write the code down on the radio in a marker so look and see if you find a four digit code on there, if you got it from a junkyard he might try going back and getting the instruction manual because they usually write it down in the radio manual.I've answered your question your satisfaction please remember to hit accept because that's the only way I get compensated for my time, need further assistance please let me know.On some of those if you hit the right knob and then the left knob while holding the right it will power up and let you use it without the radio code just for now. Pop it out with the radio Keys drive down to the dealer and they'll give you the code because people steal radios and come on here and the factory website does not have a way to notify if a deck is stolen and we have no way to connect you to anybody were not able to give the codes out anymore.One piece of advice though once you enter this radio code if you ever disconnect the battery again and it asks you for the radio code don't touch anything and just leave the ignition key on programmed with the VIN and it knows what vehicle belongs in it will self adapt itself from now on but if you mess with it and start entering the code then you're screwed up and you have to put the code in again.