VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I have rough engine idle on my 1999 4-cyl VW Passat. I found…

Customer Question
I have rough engine...

I have rough engine idle on my 1999 4-cyl VW Passat. I found a one foot vaccume hose, clear on one end, with a right angle 1/2" opening on the other end. I have no idea where this connects to. Check engine light is on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Blinks

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?

Sorry...light is constant. I have not done anything yet.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No; all is well otherwise.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: VW
The hose is about 18" L-shaped on one end, clear on the other.
5/29/2018
VW Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 2 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you, Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you.

what fault code are you getting?

also please upload a pic of the hose in question

I'm not; I haven't hooked up a laptop. It's a rough idle with loss of power. Just a steady check engine light. I'll try sending photo of hose.

ok but you have to be getting a fault code. I need to know what that is

Where would I see th fault code?

you need a code reader

I have a new code reader. Where do I plug in?

under the dash at the obd 2 diagnostic port.

No. I'll send you a photo. Where do I send.

below cover next to the parking brake lever

you attach the photo to the paperclip icon

Let's forget it for now. I'll take it to me mechanic in the morning.Thanks.

ok

standby

Im going to open this up to the others. that does not look at all familiar

VW Mechanic: ,  replied 2 months ago
Phone call session started

Please cancel my subscription. Thanks, Chris *****

VW Mechanic: Danny, VW Mechanic replied 2 months ago
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic

That doesn't connect to anything, somebody ghetto rigged your system. If you want to cancel then fine, but I know exactly what's up with your vehicle, I'm a VW and Audi specialist with a youtube channel sponsored by continental and pentosin, and I can tell you EXACTLY what needs to be done to fix it....

I promise you that if you leave here, you're going to either not ever figure it out, or you're going to spend a thousand dollars at a shop to fix it right.

Oh, and I already have a link to the parts you need ready to go.

I was able to run the code: 0303. Cylinder #3 misfiring. I have to get to work. Hold off on the cancellation. Will try getting back to you later today.

Cylinder 3 misfire is not a cause, it's a symptom. The fault is because you have a giant vacuum leak because your breather system is missing.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembled-by-ecs-parts/emissions-service-kit/06a129101dkt1kt/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9LPYBRDSARIsAHL7J5kCR1BbwCJWM_bl6YLqczAhiT64ByolFkP51-OWvJPd9qrPhY2N6iQaAhmSEALw_wcB

Take a look at this kit, you need most of that, with the exception of the metal pipe along the top left, and the metal elbow in the middle. Basically there's a 3 way hose off the valvecover, one of those runs to that metal pipe that runs along the side of the motor to the flat pancake type breather valve you see on the right, which goes in the intake pipe near the mass airflow sensor.

Then there's an elbow off the oil filter housing that goes to that 3 way small plastic PCV valve, which then runs up to the 3 way pipe on the intake.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Passat_B5-FWD-1.8T/Search/Suction/

You also need that suction jet pump, which creates brake boost using vacuum and is also a crankcase ventilation valve.

This system is likely missing from your engine, and that creates vacuum leaks. If you read your mass airflow sensor flow it should be 3.5 grams per second at idle and 10.5 at 2000 rpm while the vehicle is in park. If it reads low at idle and fine or close to fine at 2000 rpm then you have a vacuum leak, if its fine at idle but low at 2000 rpm the maf is bad.

When this system fails and falls apart it causes oil vapor to kill the mass airflow sensor as well, so it may be reading low all the time.

Additionally if you look down between the intake runners with a flashlight you'll see where the elbow attaches to the oilfilter housing, and the black sludge you see in that, will likely fall down into the oil pan when you do the repair, causing you to lose oil pressure.

Until you're prepared to remove the valvecover cam adjuster seals and oil pan, scrape them clean, replace the pump pickup, then replace the breather and reinstall the valve cover, cam adjuster seals, and oil pan, you're probably better off not messing with it. Last time I thought I'd get lucky it lost oil pressure 20 minutes later, and ended up getting impounded because it broke down in the middle of Seattle on the HWY in a no parking zone. DO NOT attempt I warn you.

If you google "1.8t sludge campaign' you'll find a lot of information about what you need to do, only it used to be done because people didn't use synthetic oil and they lost pressure so VW paid to do all of this. NOW, the sludge has clogged the breather/pcv system, you undoubtedly have severe oil leaks at the back of the cylinder head, which are leaking on the coolant flange, eating that seal and it's about to fail, has failed, or recently was replaced. There's a small tool vw3366 you need to compress the cam adjuster and pull the seals out of that. If you pull your oil cap and run your fingernail down the inside of the valvecover it's going to be coated in a black gunk that looks like you burned something in a frying pan, and that stuff is coating the oil pan, and the oil pump pickup will nearly completely blocked.

You have to drop the bolts on the front of the subframe and loosen the back ones, which means supporting the engine with an engine bar or cherry picker, so you can get the lower half of the oil pan off on this model. It's about 7 hours of work, but if you do it yourself it's a few hundred in parts, and it'll run like BRAND NEW. You'll never ever get it to run right if you don't do this, it will always have oil leaks and improper fuel trims, a rough idle, and lack power, and eventually you'll lose oil pressure. It needs to be done or probably just sell the vehicle before it turns into a nightmare of even more epic proportion.

I do performance tunes for a living, I have a tune that makes like 300 hp on this vehicle, so I'm pretty familiar with it and how to fix it, I'm in the process of making a video for this concern right now for my youtube and website. I had to mess with it on my sisters car last week in fact.

Let me know if you need more info or have more questions. And I'm just a contractor I don't get paid until you hit accept.

Danny...I took the car to my mechanic, and yes, it was the #3 cylinder ignition coil; while there they will also replace the plugs and wires. Cost" $400. While I could have done this myself, I simply don't have the time. Anyway, thanks for your offer to help. Please cancel my subscription. Chris *****

This is NOT repaired, I'm putting you in for a refund. I suggest you find yourself a local VW specialty shop. I don't care that I'm not getting paid, which I didn't because you didn't accept. I'm TRYING to warn you. Go spin by a local VW specialist and just pop your hood for them and see what they say. I can tell where you took it is a generic shop by what you just told me.

I hope they didn't charge you for spark plug wires, because your vehicle doesn't even have plug wires.