VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I have a 2010 VW Touareg 3 L diesel TDI. Recently, the VW…

Customer Question
I have a 2010...

I have a 2010 VW Touareg 3 L diesel TDI. Recently, the VW dealer replaced the DEF heater, including filling the DEF tank. Almost immediately, the DEF warning light came on. The dealer wants me now to pay $1200 for a new injector/pump assembly. I still do not know what the problem is. The computer monitoring system says I have to add DEF in 750 km, and I have driven 450 km since with no change in countdown. Do you have any suggestions? Do I really need to do anything?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

There is a central screen which monitors the activities of the system (indicates speed, fuel usage, average fuel use, range before tank empty and now shows DEF additive range of 750 km.) The manual indicates that if the DEF range goes to 0, the engine will no longer start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Touareg yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I am having the VW Dealership do it. They replaced the DEF heater ($600 plus labour). All I have done is try to add more DEF (because the"add DEF" symbol came on immdiately after their repairs) but the tank was full and I spilled 2 L over the driveway. I think that the VW dealer did something, but I get no answer except buy a new injector system, or something.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, thanks.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: VW
5/28/2018
VW Mechanic: vwtech0405, VW Technician replied 2 months ago
vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician

Do you know what trouble codes you have ??

P204D, P204B, P20E9, P204A, P208C
I have the Touareg scheduled for repairs tomorrow. They talk about replacing the DEF pump. Is this reasonable from the trouble codes? They are a VW dealership, but I want to know if it us possible that they caused the problem when they replaced the heater. There were no DEF codes until they did the work. A text answer is OK. If what they say is reasonable, then I will go ahead with them doing the repair. Thanks for your time.

The DEF pump is located on the ad blue tank where the heater is at , they more then likely causes a issue with the pump when the heater inside the ad blue tank was removed buts hard to say for sure but the pump is located in the area they have worked inn . I hope this helps please dont forget to provide feedback for the help provided thank you