VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Just bought an 04 touareg v10 tdi for use with biodiesel.

Customer Question
Just bought an 04...

Just bought an 04 touareg v10 tdi for use with biodiesel. first fill with b100 engine quickly died. replaced fuel filters - looked like painted with black paint. flushed lines, drained tank and added fresh b100. car started fine and drives but now with a higher frequency vibration and check engine light. any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Touareg yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. only the filters and draining the tank.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I would like to custom tune the car once it is fixed for biodiesel.

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: VW
5/27/2018
VW Mechanic: Danny, VW Mechanic replied 26 days ago
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
What is the fault code that your vehicle has? You said the check engine light is on, getting me the fault code would greatly help.I'll tell you now that people running biodiesel definitely have more issues with their vehicles than people running standard diesel. I've seen them grow muck and scum in the entire fuel system before. I don't run bio when I have diesel VWs for this reason but it's your vehicle.I'll attempt to help you fix the issue, please let me know the 4 digit fault code number.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I don't have a code but I will buy an OBD reader tomorrow. My bio is astm certified. Most issues relate to poor quality - not mine.
you are correct about the quality issues, but VW and Audi dont recommend running biodiesel. There are other issues such as the seals in the injection equipment not being viton and not holding up to biodiesel as well so there's more to it than that it's specifically not recommended. I can tell you I worked at the dealer when a lot of these vehicles came out new and the only diesels we ever had in the shop had biodiesel stickers on them.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I am willing to make whatever alterations necessary to make the car bio-worthy. Are the seals you refer to o-rings that I could replace? Are the seals inside the injection pump?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
7 fault codes were P0671 - glo plug 1 circuit Q10, P0673 Q12, P0672 Q11, P0381- GP heater/induction circuit, P0673 Q12, P0672 Q11, and P0671 Q10.
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 25 days ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Hello, I'm Wolfgang.

* WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.

* FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.

* PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.

* UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.

* RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Due to the design of the PD engine the maximum allowed biodiesel blend is 5%.

The injectors have screens which restricts the biodiesel because its to thick and will not pass through the screens..