VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

My 97 golf cl. It shuts off mid driving. The fuel pump seems…

Customer Question
My 97 golf cl ...

My 97 golf cl

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '97 VW?

It shuts off mid driving

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

The fuel pump seems to be working and i replaced the ignition coil cleaned all the batterie contacts, replaced fuel filter,

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the fuel filter an external one, or is it inside the tank?

External

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It will start back up again mid coast

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: VW
its a 5 speed and it generaly happens when I push in the clutch on flat going from 4th to 5th or going up a hill in 3rd gear and pull of the gas it will die or take a few seconds before the engine starts to rev, when it kicks in it tends to jolt a bit. Im not sure if its electrical or fuel related. Please Help I don't want to keep buying parts and not fix the problem. Thanks!!
I checked the spark plugs and distributor and they all look good
5/27/2018
VW Mechanic: vwtech0405, VW Technician replied 2 months ago
vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician

Good afternoon can you tell me what all have you replaced ??

The fuel pump and the ignition coil
Sorry the fuel filter
I think I may have figured it out. I’m pretty sure it’s the catalytic converter
Ok am glad you found the issue let us know if you neee any other help
What do you think? I didn’t pay for nothing I hope
If you can give me any info it would be much appreciated.
Can you give me more details on how your determined the converter is your issue ? Do you believe it’s clogged ?
Would that cause this issue? I was thinking that it’s not getting air aand snuffing out the engine?
It’s the converter is partially clogged it will cause issues like this , because the internals break down and cause a restriction and causes no back flow to the engine
I had a large leak in the flex and fixed and this started happening which led me to think it’s cloged
Where abouts are you located if in Canada do you know a cheap and fast parts distributor
It’s possible only way to know is remove it and check the inside I will check for your response in the morning logging out for the night