VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I have a 1973 vw squareback with automatic transmission. It…

Customer Question
I have a 1973...

I have a 1973 vw squareback with automatic transmission. It will not shift into 3rd even when in Drive. I've made sure the ATF level is correct. I believe the vacuum modulator could use an adjustment as I pulled off the hose to check if there was ATF or oil in it - there was not. In pulling off the hose, I may have moved the adjustment. In which direction should I move the allan nut inside the modulator to get enough pressure to go from 2nd to 3rd?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it the original transmission?

It is the original transmission at ~81K miles. Near as I can tell since I'm the third owner

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '73 VW?

1973

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

So far, I've added ATF about a quart as it was low when running in neutral. I've pulled off the vacuum hose at the vacuum modulator. That hose is old and tore when I went to pull it off. There was plenty of slack so I put it back onto the modulator after I was sure it didn't have oil in it. I will be replacing the hose today but if it still doesn't go into 3rd. I thought I'd adjust the modulator.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Only that it was working fine last fall but had a small ATF leak over the winter so when I drove it I had the problem and have done the steps I already mentioned and wanted some help with next steps.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: VW
Am I getting an answer today? It has been nearly 7 hours.
Answered in 1 day by:
5/27/2018
VW Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago
eric remington

hELLO DO YOU STILL NEED HELP IF SO DO YOU HAVE THE VIN NUMBER HANDY? bUSY WEEKEND FOR US

Here is the VIN(###) ###-####
No thanks. Just send me a written response.
VW Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago

sORRY DONT HAVE ENOUGH REPAIR INFO FOR THIS VEHICLE I WILL OPT OUT /