VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I have a 2016 Golf 1.8l motor. Changed oil and filter and…

I have a 2016 Golf...
I have a 2016 Golf 1.8l motor. Changed oil and filter and now have a low oil pressure light coming on dash.
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/17/2018
VW Mechanic: Kevin, VW Mechanic replied 4 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, VW Mechanic

Hi im kevin what brand is filter ? What oil type and amount was added and can i have vin number

3vwc17au1gm512018
Mobil one 0-40 Synthetic
Filter06k115-562

Ok there isnt a great deal you can get wrong here .you managed to get old filter out of housing in one peice ? How long did you run engine for after change

Also when I removed old filter, I left housing in garbage can on dumb day to drain . It was chucked out. I purchased
06L-115-408-D and 06L-115-678-C to replaced missing parts.I ran motor for a short while before red triangle appeared on dash. If I raise rpm’s it goes out. Took it for a two mile drive and when I came back to garage and let it idle it came on again.

Ok il be a couple of mins just want to pull up pics

Ok the adapter part 06L 115-678-C did this click into filter housing correctly and did it have a seal on the end ?

It did have two o rings and seemed to click in but the plastic part it clicked into was just a round perforated piece of plastic which wouldn’t of made a tight seal for the o ringsI can send you a photo if that helps

Ok the end with the o rings on should face away from filter housing .the other end should click into the filter housing snug.photo would be great

Ok, I’ll take it apart, be a minute

No problem

do the two parts click together ?

but it doesn’t seem like a tight fit. There is four tapered fins on filter housing and that part clicks into it. The cylindrical piece which recieved the piece has rectangle holes running down the sides

It should click together tight

it does

ok it should be difficult to serperate once together

If I pull on it it snaps apart

ok im gonna opt out see if another tech can see anything different here

Ok
VW Mechanic: Mike Rodgers, VW Technician replied 4 years ago
Mike Rodgers
Mike Rodgers, VW Technician

Hi my name is***** have read through your issue and I may have a simple solution for you. I've had a similar problem after replacing the entire oil filter housing. I found that the two parts you have replaced must be done as an updated pair. The part number 06L-115-408-D is correct, however the other piece updates to a 06L-115-678-Q, not a C. You may very well just have a mismatched part assembly.

Ok thank you. I’ll go to the VW dealership tomorrow and will get back to you.

Ok sounds good. Also when you put the new one in, place the "ball" end in the engine side of the filter housing first, then screw down the cap & filter. This will ensure the correct depth is set on all of the o-rings and that the "ball" end is locked in place.

I contacted the dealership and was told the part 06l-115-678-q was superseded to 06L-115-678-A and all three part numbers are the same and mesh with part 06-115-408 DYour last post isn’t that clear to me. Can you look at the photos I sent Kevin

I would call another dealer. Part numbers NEVER supersede backwards from a Q to an A. I'm looking right at the suppression and it goes from a A, to a C and now to a Q. as far as my last post, remove part 06L-115-678 from the housing you have it in from that picture. Place it in the metal housing on the engine itself. I'd love to send a picture, but I don't have one of those engines in front of me right now. Once I have one I will send a picture.

Ok, I’ll contact another dealership. Is the photo I sent looking correctly put together?

From what I can see, yes you have it correctly put together. I just wanted to give you another option as something to try to make sure everything was seated in the correct place. Occasionally I will do oil changes on that engine and the "plunger" piece will stick in the engine side. I will just leave it in place and replace the filer and reinstall the cap without ever removing the plunger. But like I said, it looks like you have it assembled correctly.

It appears like the ball side just hangs in the tube on engine. Doesn’t contact anything in motor. The filter contacts the motor and seats in placeGoing to another VW shop in morning, they want to see parts I have

You are correct, the ball just hangs. It's the o-rings at the top that matter.

Mike Rodgers
Mike Rodgers, VW Technician
Ok, I’ll contact you tomorrow

Great! Glad to hear it was a simple parts issue that took care of it.

Mike,
I want to ask another question

Sure what's that?

I purchased this 2016 Golf Sportswagon damaged for my daughter. Front end accident, had control module and seatbelts reset. Relplaced steering wheel airbag and side curtain bag and both front crash sensors by radiator. Still have an Airbag light and error message. What am I missing?

Any airbag code must be cleared with a scanner even after repairs.

Oh, ok
Mike,
What’s a good unit to read airbag codes?
My Bosch 1350 doesn’t do anything in that area.

One that will read airbag codes is going to be pricey, I use a factory VW scanner that costs about $5,000, However a great aftermarket option for VW/Audi is a rosstech VCDS. It is ran off of a laptop and will set you back around $300 for the cable and software I believe.

Thanks