VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

We are driving down the highway going 90 and its revving at…

Customer Question
Hi! We are driving...

Hi! We are driving down the highway going 90 and its revving at 30000 rpm. We can't get it to shift into last gear.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

Where is the break switch?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '90 VW?

It's 2001 VW Golf TDI

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes we have. My boyfriend put an EGR delete in the car, then the turbo vacuum wasn't working properly. That got fixed and now it won't shift.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, that's everything. Thank you ūüėĀ

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: VW
4/3/2018
VW Mechanic: Martin, auto electrical replied 4 months ago
Martin, auto electrical

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer.

The problem might be that there is a fault code stored in the transmission control module. The brake switch is near where the brake pedal hinge. The switch can cause problems but will not do it just on one gear selection. The control module might sens a fault with the solenoid selector inside the transmission or the wiring or it was just a glitch with the electrical system. A scan should reveal it. It might just reset with a scanner tool. Some part stores have scanners and will do it for free.

I hope you find this information of value should you need more please do not hesitate to ask. Your five star rating will be appreciated.

Greetings,

Martin.

Did you have the time to look at the transmission? Do you need more information?

If you are happy with the information that I have given you please rate my work as it is how I get payed.

Thank you in advance.

Greetings,

Martin.