VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Check engine light is on steady but there is no noticeable…

Customer Question
Check engine light is...

Check engine light is on steady but there is no noticeable malfunction

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

2014

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I had a problem a couple of years ago when we were in NJ where the station attendant has to put gas in your car (state law), and he didn't shut the gas cap all the way. I took it into the VW place and they found the problem, but had to charge me for the diagnostics. I just checked the gas cap as my granddaughter filled the gas tank yesterday. I found the gas cap had not been turned enough to make the "click" that I make sure I get when I gas the car. I'm hoping that's it and don't want to pay the dealer $100 to confirm that and reset the indicator

Mechanic's Assistant: JustAnswer requires a modest payment. You'll see the amount on the next page. It's way less expensive than face-to-face would cost. And you're covered by our 100% satisfaction guarantee.

So if I pay you, how can I be certain that you can determine if there is a real problem or not?

Mechanic's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

When you're ready

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: VW
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/2/2018
VW Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 3 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

If the cap was loose, and you have a check engine light with no difference in the way the car is running, there is about a 99% probability that the code is for a leak in the evap emissions system. I am not sure how it works in NJ, but most of the parts stores can get the codes for you and will do it free. This way you don't have to pay a diagnostic charge. Since you did find the cap not quite tight it's very likely the issue. It will take a while for the light to go out on its own. It will, it's just not instant. The car is safe to drive as long as it continues to be running fine as well.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to earn a 5 star rating from you.

Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.

Thank you so much!