VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I just purchased a 2017 used beetle. I turn off the engine…

Customer Question
Hi I just purchased...

Hi I just purchased a 2017 used beetle. I turn off the engine and remove the key then open the door the dinger starts suggesting I have left the key in the ignition then when I open the door and close it the radio and the dinging still continues. It's as though the key is still in the ignition. Now I'm turning off the radio and lights.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

Park No I don't

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have read the book and can't find anything. I did try using the parking brake but that did nothing. Your are my first attempt. I live about 90 miles from the nearest dealer.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thanks

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: VW
4/2/2018
VW Mechanic: Mike Rodgers, VW Technician replied 3 months ago
Mike Rodgers
Mike Rodgers, VW Technician

Hi my name is***** have reviewed your question, first thing I want to ask is when you remove the key from the ignition cylinder, do you hear a distinct "click" kind of like a spring noise? The next question is does the steering wheel lock once the key has been removed or can you continue to turn it?