VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Beetle rear hatch will not stay up. It did for a while but…

Customer Question
Beetle rear hatch will...

Beetle rear hatch will not stay up. It did for a while but now just slams.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Beetle?

2013

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am just starting and yes, I want to do it myself.

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes

Submitted: 17 days ago.Category: VW
4/2/2018
VW Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 17 days ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI

Ok, when the trunk lid will not stay up on its own, the gas filled support struts have worn out and leaked out their gas charge. You will need to replace the support struts. I have attached directions for you for this procedure

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

If you have any other questions on this, feel free to ask for more help by clicking the REPLY TO EXPERT button, otherwise please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager