VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Alternator work shop. 2002 passat 6cyl. I want too. I change…

Customer Question
Alternator work shop Mechanic's...

Alternator work shop

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

2002 passat 6cyl

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?

I want too

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I change the battery and it still showed alternator workshop with the batt light. I started to change the alternator and pulled the bumper cover off and started the car then the lights went off and I disconnected the bat and it ran on its own for 30 min. I put the bumper back on started the car then the light came back on?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you changed a battery before?

Yes on Thursday

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: VW
4/1/2018
VW Mechanic: VWDoc, Independent VW Shop owner replied 3 months ago
VWDoc
VWDoc, Independent VW Shop owner

Do you have a multimeter to check charging voltage?

No I can get it up to autozone to get it checked.
You'll need to measure voltage across the battery terminals with the car running, and also measure voltage directly at the alternator to battery negative as well
The problem is I cant get to the alternator.
I have to take the whole front end off the car.
Yep, things are pretty packed in there, but it is possible to get a test lead to the back of the alternator. Still, let's at least get the measurements at the battery first
I can try. The other thing is when i started yesterday to take it apart yesterday and had the bumper off. The bat light went off and ran for 30 min with the bat disconnect
But when i put the bumper back on it came back on
Understood. Now we need to figure out why. It's possible that you may have a bad fresh alternator. Not all rebuilds are created equal, with the best of them being an oem Bosch
Also, let me offer advice. Not a good idea to run these cars with battery disconnected
Ok got it. How can i change the alternator
Is there diagram
I thought you already changed the alternator
No i cant get pass the radiator

Sorry, logged off yesterday for dinner and just now got back on. So, the short version is as follows:

1) remove bumper cover

2) remove bumper beam and support the radiator support

3) Undo upper radiator support bolts to fenders

4) pull full radiator support forward to what's known as service position

5) remove serpentine belt

6) then the alternator will be accessible

7) make sure battery is disconnected

Thank you.I'll let you know what happens.

Sounds good

Just wanted to see if you have resolved this.

Not yet. I will let you know.

Ok, sounds good. Just catching up on a few questions hanging out there.