VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

NO FUEL, TRYING TO DECIDE IF IT THE FUEL RELAY OR THE PUMP,

Customer Question
NO FUEL, TRYING TO...

NO FUEL, TRYING TO DECIDE IF IT THE FUEL RELAY OR THE PUMP, FOUND OUT HOW TO TEST PUMP NOW LOOKING FOR A WAY TO TEST RELAY

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to help find that for your VW. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

NOT THAT I CAN THINK OF RIGHT NOW

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: VW
3/29/2018
VW Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 21 days ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, I need the year, model and engine size of your VW

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
01 BETTLE 2.0

HI,

Ok, give me a few minutes to pull the testing for the relay

Sorry, I will have to opt out and see if another expert can help as I dont have testing directions for this one

VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 21 days ago
kyle swart

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for using just answer .Check for 12 volts while cranking the vehicle at the fuel pump, large red wire, with the fuel pump disconnected. If you have 12 or more volts, your relay is working. I like to manually power the fuel pump up with a power probe, or a jumper battery. If the car wont start, then you know for sure that the fuel pump is faulty. Also, when the fuel pump is manually powered on, or being powered by the car, you can hear it run (if its not faulty), especially with a stethoscope. Those fuel pump relays are known for creating codes and turning on the check engine light, but very rarely do they fail to supply power to the fuel pump.

Kyle S.
A.S.E. certified master auto technician
licensed smog technician, test and repair, L-1 advanced engine performance certified
Certified Volkswagen technician, 2003,2004,2013,2014,2015
Volkswagen and Audi independent 12 years

vwnewton
vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced