VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I have a 2003 VW beetle with 68,000 miles on it. A few

Customer Question
I have a 2003...

I have a 2003 VW beetle with 68,000 miles on it. A few months back while driving on the hwy, the car felt like it was going to stall and a code of EPC popped up on the dash. I took it to a mechanic and they couldn't find any issue. It has been fine until the past week or two where the car feels like its going to stall while coming to a stop sign or a light...not sure what to do as this probably can be dangerous...

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

It sounds like it is going to stall out,ie, like running out of gas. This started again a couple of weeks ago but is random

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took it to a mechanic the first time and they couldn't find any issue. It just happened again this morning while going to the bank to make a deposit. I called my mechanic and he said he's not able to look at it for a week..what to do?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I think that's it..thanks!

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: VW
3/29/2018
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 3 months ago
kyle swart

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for using just answer. Which engine does this beetle have? With out any fault codes from the engine computer, this issue will be hard to provide info on. I would first make sure that the brake light switch is ok, they had a lot of problems with it, and they updated the part numerous times. If the car gets input that the brake and throttle are being pressed at the same time, it will stall the car until you stop and then start going again. I have even seen brake lamp bulbs that work but are worn, cause it to go into throttle cut mode ( as previously described). I am not sure if what your experiencing is the same though.

Kyle S.
A.S.E. certified master auto technician
licensed smog technician, test and repair, L-1 advanced engine performance certified
Certified Volkswagen technician, 2003,2004,2013,2014,2015
Volkswagen and Audi independent 12 years