VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

FromMalawi. I bouight a VW Golf Touran last year. The car…

Customer Question
I am Brighton Mwamadi...

I am Brighton Mwamadi fromMalawi. I bouight a VW Golf Touran last year. The car igntion has locked. No mechanich is able to fix it and am told that i need to buy a new set. How can I get a new one that will be able to work on my car/

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has this ever happened before?

It has clocked around 209,000kms

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

Golf Touran 1.4L, BMY engine , 2008 Model

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am nt fixing myself. I employed a mechanic and has said that we need a new set.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing other than helping me how i can fix the car back on the road.

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: VW
3/30/2018
VW Mechanic: Danny, VW Mechanic replied 23 days ago
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Can you please explain to me what you mean by your ignition is locked? Do you mean that you can't get the key into the ignition cylinder? Or do you mean that when you put the key in the ignition and try to turn it won't turn? Or do you mean that the steering wheel is just locked and you can't turn the wheel left or right?Please clarify and I can help more.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
The key can get into the ignition cylinder and is able to turn just a quarter. No rights on the dashboard and no sign that its can crank. At meantime the whole ignition set was removed by the mechanic and tried to open it using the money clip but it has failed.
His diagnosis sounds correct, without pictures I'm not going to really be able to tell you why he can disassemble it but I'm not really sure what you're asking from me other than a confirmation that I think that's also probably correct.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Noted Danny
So which companies manufacturers these ignition sets? Any contacts that you may have so that i can send them information about my car for then to make a new ignition switch for my car?
Well, you're going to want to order the ignition lock cylinder (which is the one the key goes into) from the dealer, because your key has a chip in it, and if you go and buy a generic cylinder, it would come with a key, but you have to pay a locksmith or the dealer to program that key to your cars immobilizer and that's going to cost big bucks.If you just ordered from the dealer you just popping in and you won't have to mess with your keys at all or program anything.
The ignition switch itself you can get just about anywhere, you may as well just get that from a dealer to because the OEM parts from the dealer or actually a higher quality than OEM parts you get from parts wholesalers.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Danny,
This is well noted. I will take the option of buying from the dealer. Do you have any contacts for VW dealers who can make this for me so that i should not have trouble in programming?
Danny
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic