VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Timing belt broke, is there anyway to tell if it’s

Customer Question
Timing belt broke, is...

Timing belt broke, is there anyway to tell if it’s non-interference engine by the VIN number? 2002 VW Beetle 2.0 engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Volkswagen Beetle. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

I know nothing about cars, I am a female an ppl are telling me all kinds of stuff as to it probably messed up valves an so forth, just needing to know if it’s a non-interference engine? VIN # is 3VWCB21C72M422842

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: VW
3/28/2018
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 3 months ago
kyle swart

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for using just answer. The 2.0 engine is interference. However, I have had some that broke at an idle, or just off of take -off, that I put the engine back in time and put on a new belt, and they were ok.

Kyle S.
A.S.E. certified master auto technician
licensed smog technician, test and repair, L-1 advanced engine performance certified
Certified Volkswagen technician, 2003,2004,2013,2014,2015
Volkswagen and Audi independent 12 years

VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 3 months ago

You have options for finding out if it indeed has bent valves. The fastest way is a camera thru the spark plug hole, hopefully on that can also look up, can see if there is valve damage, as well as piston damage.