VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

My 2001 Jetta vr6 only fires on the 1,3,5 cylinders. I

Customer Question
My 2001 Jetta vr6...

My 2001 Jetta vr6 only fires on the 1,3,5 cylinders. I replaced the head gasket (properly this time, as it had been done poorly once before I bought it) After timing it multiple times correctly (just to be sure) we put it back together and the 2,4,6 cylinders don’t fire. Shows random misfire codes on those cylinders. The timing chain tensioner has been replaced and so have the timing chain guides. Now the car has been sitting for almost two years. I need it to run, what is the problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you seen the misfire code before? Has the car been stalling?

I haven’t even attempted to drive the vehicle, as it was idling sluggishly when it was all put back together. When revved, the idle is consistently misfiring. A smoothie misfire though, not complete engine stalls

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am fixing it with a retired master mechanic. On our own in his garage. He has no idea what the code means. We have been told to change everything from the coil pack (which has been replaced) to the o2 censors which we have not done yet

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that about covers everything that I know of

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: VW
3/28/2018
VW Mechanic: Danny, VW Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
It's definitely not the coil pack and I will explain why. If you take a look at this picture I uploaded it shows the waste spark system of the VR6. Now this is somebody upgrading to the GM style coils which are cheaper, but it actually illustrates a lot better what's going on inside of your coil pack. Every time cylinder 1 fires, Cylinder 6 also fires, which is why it's called waste spark. So cylinder one wasn't getting spark Cylinder 6 also wouldn't get Spark which tells you that it's not ignition related. Likewise the fact that cylinder 4 and cylinder two are getting spark indicates that it cannot be a spark issue with cylinders 3 and 5.I don't know how you got the timing chains on incorrectly, but they definitely are.My guess is that you got the intermediate shaft line up wrong which is the shaft and sprocket that allows the bottom chain to turn the top chain that the cams are attached to.If you have the intermediate shaft lined up incorrectly the top camshafts will still appear to line up with the plate when the crankshaft pulley mark is correctly lined up. It's still will however run like crap because it's slightly off time.I have attached the diagram that shows how to time the bottom of the motor with intermediate shaft sprocket, it shows that the flattened off tooth on the crank sprocket should be at the 9 position lined up with where the oil pan meets the case. It shows that the flattened off tooth on the crank sprocket should be at the 9 position lined up with where the oil pan meets the block. It also shows the correct position of the intermediate shaft sprocket and if you don't have that ***** *****ne up at the 12 position it'll throw it all off.The only other thing I can think that it would be would be if the intake change over barrel is not lined up properly or functioning.This vehicle has variable intake manifold runners and if you look at the intake on the right side where the runners come to the front of the valve cover you'll see a vacuum operated canister will plastic rod going to a little plastic crank that goes into the intake manifold.You need to make sure that that is functioning properly by moving it with your hand or using a vacuum pump to pull vacuum on the small canister and see that retracts.If I answer your question your satisfaction please remember to hit accept next to my name because it's the only way I get paid.If you need further assistance please don't hesitate to ask, you can ask even after accepting.