VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I have vw jetta 2014 It jerks and stutters once in a while…

Customer Question
I have vw jetta 2014...
I have vw jetta 2014 It jerks and stutters once in a while and epc or check engine light will come on. The check engine light will most of the time go off but in slower speeds the car
jerks is it spark plug problem?
Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: VW
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/28/2018
VW Mechanic: VWDoc, Independent VW Shop owner replied 24 days ago
VWDoc
VWDoc, Independent VW Shop owner

Ok, so the most important piece of information I will need to be able to guide you in the right direction are a list of the stored fault codes. Unfortunately, just knowing the EPC and MIL(check engine light) are on occasionally only narrows things down slightly. The EPC stands for Electronic Power Control and it's another word for your throttle control system. In modern cars, there is no physical mechanical connection between the throttle pedal and throttle body in the engine. The pedal acts as a command, sort of like a light dimmer switch. If there is a problem with any of these components, the EPC light will come on, and the car will drop low on power. In cases like this, it's best to use a VW-specific scan tool, such as VCDS, since a lot of the generic OBD II scan tools won't pick up *all* of the stored codes, and can lead to a misdiagnosis.

If you're not able to get these faults read out, please let me know, and I can give you some general ideas of the problem based on my experience with these cars

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Ok I did take the car to the mechanic and he said cylinder 2 and cylinder 3 of the engine are showing codes However when he cleared the codes they did not come back so he said I should drive the car and see if the codes come back and I have check engine light, bring the car to him and leave it for a day so that he may fix it _ I do not trust mechanic untill I hear what is wrong - which he did not say s0 this question to you. What is wrong with this vw jetta 2014 I have? In your expert opinion. I am a layman - If the plugs are misfiring or plugs needs to be replaced for smooth running of the car - could this be as simple as that. Would apprecaite your response.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I am a deaf person with only 5%hearing that is the reason for this email exchange.

No problem with the email exchange. Right now would be a pretty tough time for me to take a call. Let me read through your response a bit, and I'll be right back with you.

Ok, so with your description of the issue being isolated to just a couple of cylinders, my first and strongest recommendation is to replace spark plugs and ignition coils. The coils are a very common problem on these cars, and spark plugs should be replaced every 40,000 miles. If you could respond back with your VIN of the vehicle, I could let you know the exact part numbers you would need and an estimated cost.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
vin 3vw2k7aj6em250315 for the vw 2014
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
has 62000 miles on the car
VW Mechanic: VWDoc, Independent VW Shop owner replied 23 days ago

Ok got it. Looking up information now

Ok, so your car is the 2.0 non-turbo, which means that it has a central ignition coil rather than individual coils per cylinder. This also means that it has traditional spark plug wires going from the coil to the plugs.

So, I still need to base my recommendation off of familiarity, because I don't have the actual fault codes from your car to base an answer off of.

I would definitely start with a set of spark plugs and ignition wires.

Spark plugs: NGK 7743, or Bosch FR7HC+ ($9 or $5 each)

Wires: 06A 905 409L (Beru or Prenco brand only) - $65.00

If there is still a misfire event after this, then it's possible there is a hairline crack in the coil

Coil part # is 032 905 106E. I would stay with original equipment, Beru or Bosch. Stay away from the Karlyn brand.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
VWDoc rest assured I will pay u in full once my vw does not need any advice from a mechanic. I will get back with you once I have installed the spark plugs and wires and let u know how the car is running - have ordered Prenco wires and bosh plugs
will have them by April 3-5 and will inform you that same day how it went. Thanks for now and I am pleased with how u handled the answers.
No problem at all. Just keep me in the loop when you get it sorted. Also, if you plan on doing more of your own work,I highly recommend at least getting a basic scan tool. It will help out a lot

.

VWDoc
VWDoc
VWDoc, Independent VW Shop owner