VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I recently cleared my check engine light on my 07 bug 2.5 to…

Customer Question
I recently cleared my...

I recently cleared my check engine light on my 07 bug 2.5 to see if I got new codes and if they were the same and now it won't idle or stay running and it backfires through the intake

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

The cel is not on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '07 VW?

Beetle

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have replaced the MAF and was going to replace the pcv valve on the valve cover but it was still in good shape with no tears

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so..

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: VW
3/27/2018
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 2 months ago
kyle swart

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for using just answer. Did you disassemble the breather valve and inspect the diaphram without breaking it apart? Last one I checked I had already replaced it and had to cut it open to see it. I usually run the engine with that hose plugged at the intake to make sure it is not the cause. What were your original fault codes, and do you have any pending ones now? thanks.

Kyle S.
A.S.E. certified master auto technician
licensed smog technician, test and repair, L-1 advanced engine performance certified
Certified Volkswagen technician, 2003,2004,2013,2014,2015
Volkswagen and Audi independent 12 years

I have no trouble codes now I deleted them to troubleshoot and see what the new codes were to refrence them to the original codes and when I restarted the car it won't hardly idle and it's backfiring through the intake.. The only thing I did was erase the codes.. The original codes were p0300 p0301 p0302 p0303 p0305 p2279 p0101
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 2 months ago

Yes I would plug off the hose that goes to the valve cover and see how it runs,and I would inspect the intake tube, where the hoses attach near the throttle body. The pipe for the secondary air pump likes to come off frequently, as well as where it attaches to the throttle body and maf sensor.

Ok Kyle I took off the hose going into the valve cover by the pcv valve taped both the hose and the valve cover shut and started it backfire is gone and the idle is a lot better and it popped up codes p0300 p0301 p0302 p0305.. But it is much better
I checked the secondary pipe as well and it seem to be attached at both ends it looks good
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 2 months ago

I would clear the faults again with that hose still plugged, engine may be fouled from all the misfiring. What kind of scanner are you using? Can you look at data blocks?

clear it and start it again?? it's a bosch but I think you can
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 2 months ago

Yes. Value blocks 14,15,16 should show you misfire moniters. This helps you identify what cylinders are misfiring.

I've had the car running since I got your last post there are no cel no misfires and the idle is good.. so what do you think the culprit is because it is running fine
just checked its still running and pulled up misfires on 1,2,and 3
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 2 months ago

I would start with replacing the valve cover.