VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I need to find out how to properly time my camshaft on my VW…

Hey! I need to...

Hey! I need to find out how to properly time my camshaft on my VW Jett's 04

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your VW. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

No that's about it thanks!

3/25/2018
VWDoc
VWDoc, Independent VW Shop owner

That looks like a BBW-code engine. Can you give me a VIN? If it is a BBW, then you're going to need a special cam lock tool, and will have to remove the upper intake and valve cover to do this.

Dan, Technician

Here are timing instructions and link to buy cam locking tool. My goal is to provide 5 star service so please let me know if you have questions, thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a5hjyj55lgh5nv6/timing.pdf?dl=0

-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2065a-Locking-Plate-Tool-for-VW-Audi-Volkswagen-Timing/172500683526?epid=888860942&hash=item2829d78b06:g:uMUAAOSw4A5YpJgw

I'm actually going to change the valves, since I believe there's been valve damage. I unscrew the camshaft from the head, will this effect the instruction to get it back in time? I'm able to get the crankshaft in timing. Hopefully I can get the camshaft in time. Thanks! I'll be updating.

No it will not effect anything, just follow procedure as shown in above link and you will be good to go. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help, thanks.

Ever get it figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer, thanks.

I ended up changing the valves even though nothing happened to them. I'm having a really hard time understanding how to set the cam on timing. I still waiting to get the cam lock tool. But how do I time it? I don't understand the manual you've sent. I can get the crank shaft timed but no idea on the cam. Thanks!

The timing bar gets pushed into camshaft slot which holds it in position while installing. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

I understand what the tool does. I've moved the cam shaft out of time is what I'm trying to say. I don't know how to set it back in time. There is no marking like other models.

The slots can only line up 1 way with tool inserted so as long as tool is inserted into the slots the cam timing will be correct. Let me know if you have questions. Thanks.

Okay perfect! So I will get the tool asap and will follow up! Thanks a lot! Will update if I succeed

No problem, I'm happy to help. I'll be here if you need me. Thanks.

Hey so I put everything back together! Getting a p0341 code. Not sure if I'm a tooth away. Think I am. Maybe my sensor has gone bad?I do know the crank move a bit when putting the belt back on. I'm the manual you've sent, apperantly I can unscrew the camshaft bolt inside the sprocket. I tried doing that but it won't unscrew (it's a 12 point bolt) an de I was afraid to over do it.It says that if I unscrew it I would be able to move the sprocket freely so I can time the crankshaft with the belt on and not move the camshaft timing off. Is that right or am I reading it wrong?I'm willing to reset the timing to clear the code, asides that the car runs fine. Code won't go away though!Thanks for all your help!

Ya it sounds like the timing is off due to the camshaft gear needing to be adjusted like you were saying.

Ever get it figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer. Thanks.

Dan, Technician