VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Just replaced the spark plugs and ignition coils on 2010…

Just replaced the spark plugs...
Just replaced the spark plugs and ignition coils on 2010 Tiguan. Started the engine and it was idling smoothly. I turned it off to reset the EPC and check engine light. Now car won't start: no instrument lights, horn, 4 way flashers, radio, etc. disconnected negative terminal for 15 minutes. Same result. Battery is 2 year old Bosch. Never had starting problems before replacing coils.
3/25/2018
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue
In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sunday through Friday from around 5 am to 9 pm Eastern time.Zone If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.
If you see a call request on your screen ,That is an automated feature the web site offers all customers.

Did you check fuses ?

no power to cluster inside it want start ?

you went back and rechecked your work ?

how did you clear the faults by disconcerting battery or using a scanner ?

check battery terminals for being lose or corroded ,wiggle the cables did yiu get power back, do you have anything coming on inside car like interior dome light ?

Are you looking for the most possible causes or you are repairing it yourself .

Please Let Me Know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Chad,
Good Morning, I checked my work and it seems fine. When I replaced the ignition coils this am. The car ran like new I let it run for about 3 minutes. I turned it off to reset the codes and then nothing! I disconnected the negative pole for 15 minutes and nothing. I cleaned the negative pole and tightened. The negative pole is warm and when I put a charger on it, it sparked. The battery reads 12 on my tester.I checked the fuses under the dash. I pulled fuse 14, 20 and 25. They were all good,. I'm doing this myself. Two months ago it cost me $400 for new plugs on a 3.28. So far I'm $155 into this Tiguan doing it myself.Let me know if you need anything else.

Hey,I will try to help ,

what is the security indicator doing on dash ?

any key symbols ?

flashing red led ?

you put charger on and it sparked ,u had key on ?

did you recheck fuse after the spark, ?

it shpuld not spark if key off ?

do you own a vw capable scanner ?

the coils and plugs is not our issue here, something happened after it ran 3 minutes and got hot, a fuse ,a module, anti theft

Recheck fuses and i want you to try this procedure below , this here might take some back and forth

Master Reset

1-Disconnect Both Battery Cables ,Positive & Negative .

2- Touch Cables With Each Other For 60 Secs ( this will take any residual power in the Harness to Reset the Vehicle Modules )

3- Wait 30 min

4- Close all doors and trunk

5- Reconnect Battery Positive First

6- Use The Key in The Driver Side Door

Lock Cylinder to Lock it & Unlock,IF You have only a Key Fob ,use it to lock and unlock

7- Enter vehicle and Start it .

let me know

it is not a key issue ?

Condition

Remote Key Inoperative

Remote key does not work. In addition, the immobilizer can be active.

Technical Background

The remote key may be faulty if the LED indicator does not illuminate when remote button(s) are pressed.

Tip:

Normally the function can be restored by resetting the remote key (removing the remote battery) or replacing the battery

fuse inside car and outside

the 150 and 200 amp fuse checked

click on link to view

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Chad,
Going to get our taxes done. I'll follow your instructions when we get back tonight or tomorrow PM (work). My dash is as dead as an Edsel. I just tried the FOB and nothing. I do not have manual key holes on the car. I even tried the trunk lid with the fob. Nothing. I'll do the reset later and hope that works. I'm baffled. Still no lights on the dash.

You are very welcome

PLEASE READ BELOW HOW TO GET BACK IN TOUCH AND WE CONTINUE I TRY TO HELP ON IT

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You?Chad Farhat?ASE Certified Technician

Chad Farhat
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Just followed your last communique about disconnecting the battery etc. I did as instructed and have the same results. My fibbdid ooend it close the locks and when I turned the key in the ignition, nothing��
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Chad,
Not sure you could understand my last message. I tried the master reset. Same as before, no lights or signs of life. Not even my FOB worked. Any ideas???? Thx

I m sorry I did misunderstood , ,

did you check fuses ?

if you turning switch and get nothing ,could be a short in the electrical part of the ignition switch .

unless you have key less start button

click on link to view the switches and wiring circuit ,i have highlighted in yellow the fuses and relays needs checked,click on link to view the pdf files

if all that is good then You will need a Capable Factory scanner or equivalent to Read the Fault codes in the Modules needed here ,that is done by hooking up the scanner to your vehicle DLC data port connector and based on these faults we can pull up a Pin Point Troubleshoot and be Accurate ,If you do get the Faults Read ,Please post them back here for me and I can Help You Further on it and send you the pin point troubleshoot to perform or the most possible causes for it .

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Chad--finally had some time to follow up. I had the battery jumped by AAA and everything worked. Except the battery was dead. Went to Pep Boys where I bought my Bosch battery 2.9 years ago. They put in two batteries that needed a jump. The second battery was a little more powerful than the one I had. It was still a Bosch. After he jumped the new battery once I haven't had any trouble (knock on wood). I've been using it steadily the last 36 hours so hopefully it was only a battery issue.Thanks for your input and guidance. If I have any other issues with the VW or the Q5 I'll pick you. Do you knowing anything about 2007 3.28I and/or 2005 M3. My kid has one of each. Robert

AWESOME NEWS, WOW YOU BMW GUY :) M3 ,VW Q5 , YOU CAN BEAT GERMAN ENGINEERING ,WAS BIG IN RACING, HAD M5 , STI , EVO ,DYNO TUNED ,FULL REBUILD ENGINES , 400, 500 AND 600 HP , WENT TRACK A LOT , MY STI DID 0 TO 60 4 SECS , .

I M OLDER NOW GOT RID OF THEM , I M LOOKING TO BUY G CLASS MERCEDES NOW, NEED GOOD CUP HOLDER FOR MY STARBUCKS AND AUTO MATIC .:)

I APPRECIATE THAT MAN .I WILL TRY TO HELP ANYTIME

Thank you for the Rating :)

If you need my assistance in the future, Start your Question with (FOR CHAD FARHAT ONLY) or Go to my profile page

You can also add me as Favorite expert for any future questions

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-chadfarhat/?rpt=3800

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat