VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Got abs light and check engine on my 2004 vw jetta 2.0 have…

Customer Question
Got abs light and...

Got abs light and check engine on my 2004 vw jetta 2.0 have went use my obd scanner but scanner not communicating get error when trying to initiate protocol 1850 pwm

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on but brake light blinks and beep when driving

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have removed to tires and wheels to check brake pads and the connectors clean the and reconnected the sensors none of the damaged. disconnected the abs pump to see if that could stop obd from working but did not help

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: VW
3/25/2018
VW Mechanic: Danny, VW Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
What scan tool are you using? I'm not sure which connector you disconnected from the ABS module but you need to disconnect the electrical connector from the electrical portion of the ABS, not the pump with two wires.That being said basically your abs module is faulty and needs to be replaced, that's really the only thing that causes the ABS and traction control light with a blinking brake light to occur.That will jam the communication bus.If you disconnect the electrical connector for the ABS module and still can't communicate, then most likely it's because you have an after-market radio and the radio harness is shorting power to the K line.http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/aftermarket-radio.htmlThat is a link to the page that describes what you need to do to fix it, just scroll down to the bottom and tells you which wire to cut.I've answered your question your satisfaction, please remember to hit accept next to my name because that's the only way this site will compensate me for my time.If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask, you can ask follow-up questions even after hitting accept.
I have gone to auto zone and o'reilly still unable to read codes from obd scan tool. I have even unplug the ecm still getting the same error. factory radio is working. has not been changed. are there other ways to troubleshoot the obd scan port for defective line. one this is that i know for sure is that there is 12 volt dc power on pin #16
What do you mean by you unplugged the ECM and you're getting the same error?Ecm stands for engine control module. If you unplug that you definitely won't be reading any faults.The one for the abs is the abs control module. Did you unplug that? It's in the engine bay attached to the abs hydraulic pump assembly, which is the metal block with all the brake lines going to it
Danny; I have disconnected the abs from the module in question still same issue even the abs lights are still on and obd not working. I never told you i have after market radio. I still have the original vw jetta radio.
i unplugged the ecm to isolate everything that sends and receive signal