VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

When accelerating it starts to shudder then stops then if…

Hi when accelerating it...

Hi when accelerating it starts to shudder then stops then if acceerate again a little stronger it will shudder again

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?

2009

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '09 VW?

Avweos

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No nothing so far I normally take it to vw

3/24/2018
kyle swart

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for using just answer. Is your check engine lamp on? thank you,.

Kyle S.
A.S.E. certified master auto technician
licensed smog technician, test and repair, L-1 advanced engine performance certified
Certified Volkswagen technician, 2003,2004,2013,2014,2015
Volkswagen and Audi independent 12 years

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
It was on, but took it to VW and they reset it it is not on at the moment. They did not test drive the car only did a diagnostic and found nothing

What were the codes for? did they do any repairs on that visit? thank you.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
When first excelerating its ok then It shudders quite badly and when you continue to excelerate it goes away
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
They did no repairs don't know the codes

It is most likely a ignition issue, But i would need a scan of the car and any present fault codes to verify. Ignition coil failures are pretty common in the 2.0T. Im assuming that is what motor you have.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
it is a 2.0T. ignition coil? would that cause the shuddering? How
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
When they ran a scan they said the engine was misfiring a little , thats all they said

The spark goes somewhere else other than thru the spark plug, due to a boot failure or worn out spark plug. That causes that cylinder to not fire, creating the "shuttering " effect. Most noticeable under heavy acceleration.

Your car uses 1 for every cylinder, so it has 4.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Should they not have picked that up at VW?

Depends on whether or not they could duplicate your concern. If it was slight and/or intermittant, they may not have experienced what you are describing.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
ok I am guessing until I take it back to VW I wont know . as I said the shuddering is quite intermittent
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
If you accelerate gently it seems ok and if you accelerate harder its starts to shudder then

Ok. If you have your documentation from your last visit, that may help. Yes that sounds very much like an ignition coil failure, boot failure, or spark plugs, or all.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
ok thanks for all your answers I will take it back to VW. with some other knowledge now as what to expect.

Ok great. Have a great day.

Hopefully the information I supplied helped. Please leave me a 5 star rating, if you do not feel I deserve a 5 star rating, please let me know ahead of time and I will make sure I have done all that I can to assist you, thank you.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Is there anyway it could be tied to a transmission problem or driveshaft problem ?

Yes, potentailly. But it doesnt sound like that sort of issue. A scan of all the computers in the car would help bring more clarity to that.

kyle swart
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I think a 5 star is good and hopefully your answers are the right ones I will know shortly thanks again
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Hi Kyle,I just want to let you know , it was the ignition coil you were right.Thanks again very much appreciatedCheers
Gary

Good to hear! thank you.

If you need assistance in the future, please ask for me directly, and put "kyleskrautcar only" in the title, thank you!

kyle swart
kyle swart
kyle swart