VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

No washer operation. Fuses good. Replaced pump. Still no…

No washer operation. Fuses...

No washer operation. Fuses good. Replaced pump. Still no washer

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual yet?

Yes, no help

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

2010 jetta sportwagen TDI

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Jetta SportWagen yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, Checked fuse 42 = good. Checked pump motor circuit =open. Replaced pump motor. Still no operation

3/24/2018
kyle swart

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for using just answer. If you have someone else operate the washers, can you hear if the pump is running? I have seen a lot of kinks and breaks in the washer line where it goes into the hood. thank you.

Kyle S.
A.S.E. certified master auto technician
licensed smog technician, test and repair, L-1 advanced engine performance certified
Certified Volkswagen technician, 2003,2004,2013,2014,2015
Volkswagen and Audi independent 12 years

No pump motor operation.
My next step was to test the washer pump relay. Don't know where this is

I do not believe there is a relay, I believe it is a function of the central control module. With a scan tool like ross-tech, you can actually see if that module is getting a signal from the washer switch.

Oh boy! I don't have such a scan tool. I have a pocket OBDII scanner, will this give me the same info?

Unfortunatly, no. Please give me the production date of the vehicle, on the label from the drivers door jamb, and i will inspect the wiring diagram for the proper fuse application, and if indeed the function is thru the central module, thank you.

Production date is 01.10

Check fuse 36 on the panel under the dash, and fuse 29 in the engine compartment fuses.

I have a fuse panel on the side of the dash where it meets the drivers door. There is another under the dash? driver's or passenger's side?

Sorry, the newer ones do. Yes please check those fuses on the side. Also, check fuse 41. thank you.

Used test light with car on engine running. Fuse 29 in engine bay (50amp) is good.
Fuse 36 and 42 in cabin fuse box are good as well.

Do not use a test light on fuses, as it can damage computers. Visual or with a volt meter is safe. Please check fuse 41 in the cabin fuse box. I did verify that the wipers are a output of the central module. There is a headlamp washer relay, but most of these wagons did not come equipped with headlamp washers in the usa.

thanks for the heads up on the test light. Visually inspected fuse 41 by removing and it's intact.

ok. try to visually check all the fuses, you do not have to remove them. A flashlight helps see the elements. There is only 3 things left, the wiring, the washer switch, and the central module. The washer pump should have power all the time when the vehicle is on, and the module grounds it when it is activated. If you disconnect the washer pump, check for 12 volts on one of the 2 wires. If you do not have 12 volts with the key on or the car running, you have a wiring issue or fuse problem. If you do have 12 volts, you need to see if you have a signal from the module ( you could use the test light as the washer motor, connect it inline with one terminal connected to each end of the light). If the light comes on, its your new pump or a leak somewhere. If it does not come on, it may be a wiring problem on the signal side, faulty switch, or faulty central module. A good scan tool would do this test much more quickly.

Ok, thanks very much for that. I just bought this used 2 weeks ago from a dealer. They are 2 hours away from me, so I thought this might be a quick fix. As this is still under a 30 day dealer warranty, I'll take it back to them and let them hook it up to diagnostics. If it ends up being the wiper switch or CEM, they can do that work under warranty. Thanks for all your help, and have a great weekend.

You as well, thank you. If you do any of your own repairs in the future, ross-tech is an amazing tool for the cost.

Hopefully the information I supplied helped. Please leave me a 5 star rating, if you do not feel I deserve a 5 star rating, please let me know ahead of time and I will make sure I have done all that I can to assist you, thank you.

kyle swart
Will do. Thanks again.

If you need assistance in the future, please ask for me directly, and put "kyleskrautcar only" in the title, thank you!