VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

The radiator fan doesn't turn-on. Well, it was working when…

The radiator fan doesn't...

The radiator fan doesn't turn-on. Well, it was working when i got home. Then I notice it shut-off. Maybe it turns on and off. I am not sure

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the car been overheating? Have you checked the fuses?

The car hasn't been overheating. Im not sure how to check the fuse, it's a 2007 Passat

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, i am just trying to figure out if i need to bring it into a shop. I rather not use the dealership. Usually too expensive

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, I think it is probably a fuse issue though

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

D​o you have the V6 or 4 cylinder engine? Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
4 cy
2.0 turbo

Thanks, ***** ***** a few minutes to pull up info.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
im not sure if it is malfunctioning or if it normal for the radiator fan to turn on and off

Does it ever run hot? Is the checke ngine light on?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it hasn't been running hot. Vehicle has been making squeaky noise
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I noticed the fans turned-off shortly after I opened the hood

The fan is only supposed to come on as needed so if it isn't running hot and check engine light isn't on then I wouldn't worry about it. Fan should also come on when using the AC so you could make sure fan comes on with AC if so then I would assume everything is working normally. If fan stayed on all the time it could make engine run too cool which would effect gas mileage and would burn out quicker. The squeaky noise likely means belt is getting worn. With vehicle running you can spray water on the belt to see if noise stops if so then the belt needs to be replaced. My goal is to provide 5 star service so please let me know if you have any questions, thanks.

Dan, Technician
Dan, Technician