VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Lots of play on the clutch pedal. Just got done replacing…

Customer Question
Lots of play on...

Lots of play on the clutch pedal

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

No, just got done replacing the clutch. thought it might be a worn clutch. but it feels the same as b4. the clutch engages sooner than b4 tho

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

95 carbrio VW

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 9-5 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, and only have changed the clutch.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Think thats about it

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: VW
3/23/2018
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 3 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Welcome, I'm Wolfgang, Master VW Tech.

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.
  1. Trying to get more info ... clutch disk was replaced anything else?
  2. was the flywheel resurfaced?
  3. did you adjust the cable after the clutch was installed?
  4. you say lots of play can you explain further... play from top until you feel some resistance pressure? please elaborate.

Thanks

just the clutch plate, pressure plate were replaced. flywheel was not resurfaced. did not adjust the cable after the clutch install. the manual did not say anything about that.. it has an auto adjusting cable didnt think i had to re-adjust it. the play is from the top and about a good 3-4 inches before i feel any tention. then i push further down THEN it releases the clutch.
It feels like only the bottom 2-3 inches is what is engaging and dis-engaging the clutch

did you inspect the rod and measure the length make sure that the rod was not too worn ?

It feels like only the bottom 2-3 inches is what is engaging and dis-engaging the clutch. unfortunately the book does not say anything about measuring the rod. but it looked good. it went all the way from front to the back. i also replaced the throw out bearing. and also replaced the push rod level/arm.

the lever arm that hooks to the cable can you take a pic of the arm as it sits right now and post here?

thanks

sure need a couple of min.
ok hope those pics work
IMG_20180322_205113.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20180322_204914.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20180322_164551.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20180322_204712.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20180322_204809.jpgIMG_201...jpg

at the trans?

lol opps sorry thought you ment at the cluth pedal.. sure sec brb

putting my kids to sleep . will get back i n a bit!!

ok
VW Mechanic: Danny, VW Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Your automatic adjusting clutch cable has failed, it's a common problem, just get the manual clutch cable conversion from ECS Tuning.Now, on top of that these pedal clusters also have a problem where the clutch pedal wears away at the assembly and gets sloppy, after that I'd recommend you get new pedal cluster, or a good used one from www.car-part.com.I also want to inspect where the cable goes to the clutch pedal because there is a round tube that the pedal attaches to that can often snap off of the pedal assembly also requiring replacement of the assembly.If I've answered your questions to your satisfaction please remember to hit accept next to my name as that is the only way I am compensated for my time.If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask, you can ask follow-up questions even after hitting accept.