VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Something is draining my battery --battery and alternator is…

Customer Question
Something is draining my...

Something is draining my battery --battery and alternator is good

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Did that by service garage told me all good many dollars latter still doing it

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

2002 passat

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I took it in

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: VW
3/22/2018
VW Mechanic: peterpete190, Technician replied 1 month ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

What has to be done is to have a parasitic battery drain/draw test performed to see which component is causing this battery drain issue here.This has to be done with a multi meter to locate the fault.

This can be a fault with a sticking on relay or switch.Other components that are common are the radio or lights or even the instrument gauge cluster.But there are several components that can cause this fault so the testing posted below has to be done.This needs to be done by anyone who has the multi meter to do this testing or a shop or dealer to locate the fault.

O.k., what needs to be done is to leave the key out of the vehicle with the windows rolled up and make sure everything is off with access to the battery.

Set the meter to amperage or milliamp and disconnect the negative cable from the battery.Put the leads in the multi meter the correct way (negative in negative and positive in the amperage or milliamp slot if equipped).

Connect one cable from the meter to the ground cable that was connected to the battery and the other lead to the ground terminal on the battery,this way the current is flowing through the multi meter.

After around 5 to 10 minutes see what the meter reads for a amperage draw.Normally you want to see less then 50 milliamp or less then .05 amp.

If you see over this amount of a battery draw/drain then your vehicle has an electrical component draining the battery.

From here you would remove one fuse at a time with the meter still in place and observe the reading on the meter until you come across one fuse that allows the draw to read below the 50 milliamp.This is the fuse or circuit that has the component on it that is drawing down the battery.Make sure when you remove one fuse if it is not the issue reinstall it and move to the next waiting a minute between each fuse removed to get an accurate reading.

Once you find the fuse or circuit its on then you would look on a wiring diagram to see what that fuse powers and unplug each of those components one at a time until you locate the component causing the draw then this component would need replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician