VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Yesterday, I attempted to raise the roof of my VW Eos. It…

Good morning! Yesterday...

Good morning! Yesterday, I attempted to raise the roof of my VW Eos. It stopped about half way through the process, and now will not do anything. I do not hear the roof motor running (ie attempting anything) The sunroof will close. It is stuck halfway up. There is an error message Convertible Top Operation Error, Service- or something to that effect. I called my local dealer who said it could be very detrimental to move it with the roof in that position. So, I'm looking for advice.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?

43,000 NO

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Eos?

2012 Lux

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Eos yourself? What have you tried so far?

Im not much of a mechanic. Ive attempted to open the trunk in hopes of checking if the boot has become unset and affecting the function of the roof.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, I believe Ive shared all I know, thank you!

3/22/2018
VWDoc
VWDoc, Independent VW Shop owner

So you checked the luggage cover already. At the left hand bottom of the luggage cover, where it engages on the socket on the trunk floor, also operates a switch which tells the roof that the luggage cover is in position, and so can be opened. There is a spring clip on the bottom of the luggage cover which ensures that the luggage cover remains in place. Sometimes this spring falls out. It's worth checking.

I'm going to look up fuse positions also for you in the meantime.

I am unable to access the trunk. I pulled the manual release for the trunk. It did release the trunk, but it won't open. I have read on another forum where another Eos owner had an issue with a temperature sensor. Once he replaced it, all was well. He alluded to his temp gauge in his car not working appropriately. Mine is working correctly.

I haven't seen any EOS top problems that have been temperature, or temperature sensor-related. The trunk access issue is a bit concerning, but it's likely locked down if the top is only halfway through its dance. The only other thing I can show you is the top fuse position. This is in the fuse panel under hood, rather than the one on the end of the dash. It's position 54, a 40A maxi-fuse. Unfortunately, there are no spares in there, and maxi fuses are a bit tough to find at parts stores. However, if the fuse is blown, it's likely blown for a good reason, and *just* replacing the fuse might not get you out of the woods, but maybe it would be enough to get the roof in either its fully closed or fully open positions so that it can be driven to the dealer for diagnosis.

Please let me know if I can offer further information

VWDoc
VWDoc, Independent VW Shop owner
Ok, I was hoping for a solution just to get the roof down, so I could safely have it towed. I don't feel good about towing it with the roof in the current position, but at this point, I don't feel I have an option. Thank you for your time.

It's a bit involved, but manual operation is possible. Starts at pg 64 in this PDF